The Planted Tank Forum banner

40 Breeders?

7K views 79 replies 16 participants last post by  Crob5965 
#1 ·
Hey everyone... Don't know if this will be in the right spot, but I'm wanting a thread for 40 breeders out there... It's the tank I'm working to set up now, and hoping for some inspiration!

If people can just post pics of their 40 breeders, I'd love it! Tank, Stand, Lighting, Filtration, other equipment, etc! The whole 9 yards! This is the place to showcase them! Also! If you have a 50 or 65 with same footprint, feel free to post those pics too!

Looking forward to seeing some awesome tanks!
-Scott

#5 ·
Johhywhoop- You'd be best off to start a separate thread in the appropriate location for that question, this thread is mostly for people to post about their existing tanks, not to answer specific questions about how to run a tank. Thanks =)

Best of luck!
-Scott

#8 ·
Hopefully as more people post, and give details about their tanks, we will know lots about lighting, dosing, and other equipment for them =)

For what it's worth, I'm going for a Finnex Ray2 36" fixture for mine. I will not be doing CO2 at the beginning, so will probably need to raise it up a bit. It will give high light right under it, and probably mid-high light in the front and back.

Hope that helps!

#9 · (Edited)
just snapped(low res phone pics...), 65 gallon tank. bn plecos, striped raphael, bronze peppered and julii cory cats, black mollies, male guppies, crowntail betta, dwarf gourami, last 2 neons from a school of 12(will be taken into the shop next time i visit) a straggler danio, trumpet snails, a single male cherry shrimp and a few ghost shrimp... and micro inverts(cyclops, seed shrimp, etc..)...

lights are an odno shop light and the fixture that came with the set-up. substrate is blasting grit and gravel. grofine(miracle gro knock-off) is lightly dosed at 1/8 to 1/4 tsp per week.

#17 ·
i ran two gallon jugs and two 2 liter bottles together of co2 brew for a while, but after a few days of missed maintenance floaters choked the surface and i think i gassed a lot of neons and guppies... =[ so for now, its running low tech with a canister, heater, and powerhead/pump with prefilter pointed upwards to roll water up to the surface.

and thanks for the compliment.. i do feel like i should gut it and dirt it, however.. growth isn't as stable as it is in a few of my other tanks...

#11 ·
I have an album titled 40 gal breeder if you care to look. it takes too long to upload pics here.
I have a 36" 120 light LED with a xlg sponge filter and a maxijet 600 w/ a aquafina bottle filled with filter floss carbon and pot scrubbers laying Horizontal.

Lighting looks great plants don't seem to be suffering but not really growing either

filtration I do a water change every week but could probably go 2-3 weeks without any issues

Attachments

#16 ·
Crob- The openness of that scape is pretty nice! Really lets you see the fish, and I'll definitely check the thread you mentioned! Think you can get pics of the DIY stand? Would love to see what ya made. I think if the canopy matches the stand, that always looks nice!

Danakin- Checking sig link...

speedie- all I can say is wow. That is awesome! I am still deciding on flora for mine... I'll check out your link for specs! That is really a piece of art ya had going there.

Thanks everyone for getting this going! Keep em coming :)

#25 ·
Thanks
The plants have definitely filled in out but it's still pretty open. I only have about 2 yrs experience with planted tanks but about 15 yrs on and off with aquariums.

I'll post some pics of the tank stand and the canopy ( should be done over Xmas with my 10 gal Sump/Refugium project)

#18 ·
Lights on it are my only 'high tech' and pricey thing. One light was for my 4ft tank, but I moved it onto the 40, other was for the 40 itself. I used to have two 40s flanking my propane heater. Current USA 4ft 2 bulb and a AquaticLife 3ft 2 bulb. I rarely ad anything, if I do it's "Plant Zone" love the stuff. Also have a fancy powder mix I add to water to dose and Root Tabs as well as Rabbit droppings for in the substrate.
Usually just my Well water is needed.

Black Sand Blasting Grit/sand, Fluval 205 & Fluval 305. Marineland heater or HOB heater.
Male Betta, two female Betta, male Opaline Gourami, Bamboo shrimp reaching 1yr, RCS, Green Cory cats, Oto cat, Clown Pleco & BN pleco pair.

Jungle Val, Crypts, Sword, Tiger Lilly, Salvinia, Hornwort, Subwassertang, mixed Moss, Rotala Indica, Nymph Taiwan, Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis and Aponogeton Ulvaceus
- Which attempted to grow this summer, but the other plants swamped it out. It's been growing and returning to dormancy for several seasons now. A true stunner.

What it looks like when it needs to share it's plants in a ROAK.

#26 ·
Yea, my tanks like to be jungles, I love plants.
Otos are great, sensitive when you first get them. Mine were breeding for awhile, but then things got weird in another tank and now I just have the one. But at $3 each and being iffy at first, I'm waiting to find some for $1 instead.

I had three Angels growing out in there until last week.

#33 ·
i have the aqueon glass lid for it, seems fine for the weight, its tempered glass, normally a lil more heavier than normal plate glass form what i have noticed working with glass at the glass shop i used to work in making vinyl windows/doors

triple strength glass a 8x12 sheet omfg heavy

#35 ·
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. That works for your tank, awesome! But I'm sure that what others are doing works for them. Also it can be an aesthetic decision when buying a light fixture, some people want their lights to look a certain way above their tank.

Glad yours are working for you though. Lets try to be more open to differences in equipment here! lol :hihi:

#36 ·
I'll probably try to go without a lid on mine, mostly cause I live in So Cal and I'm afraid a lid will enclose too much eat and I may not be able to keep temps down enough. When I had a reef tank set up I occasionally had to turn fans on over the tank to get evaporative cooling going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.