The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 4g nano - iwagumi inspired (55k warning)

11K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Siggav 
#1 ·
I got a new fishtank the other day. A cute little 4g tank, pretty much a cube.

Just finished setting it up, no livestock yet and I don't quite know what to put in it.

I ordered the rocks online for it and got so much grief at work for paying money for rocks and having them shipped to me, but they were well worth it.

I had initially wanted to do something with driftwood but when the rocks turned up I knew I had to let them be the main focus.

I'm currently running the tank just with the built in LED lights, it's also next to a window where it gets lots of day light but no direct sunlight. We'll see how it goes. Also not using Co2 yet, not sure if I will.

I found it quite hard to aquascape, both being this small and being basically a cube. Im really happy with how it came out though in terms of the placement of the rocks.

The tank, I ended up taking out the filter that came with it though it was really noisy and have another in there now. That filter doesn't fit into the little compartment though so the tank is a little bit less clean than in these photos. Not by much though, it pretty much blends in with the black background anyway.

Filled up with substrate and the rocks placed

Ive got the fluval plant stratum thingie in it, we'll see how that works out. I put really fine gravel on top, in part because I don't really like the look of the substrate and to make it a bit easier to plant in. I know they'll end up mixing but hopefully the plants will mostly cover things by then

And voila! flooded and planted

Ive got hairgrass at the back, staurogyne repens at the front and Pogostemon helferi in the middle. It's all freshly planted so I have no idea how the plants will do really, esp since I don't know if the light is going to be good enough but we'll see. I'd be happy if any one of these plants thrive.

See less See more
#28 ·
Thank you!

..and yes it's about time to trim the plants more, I've trimmed a bit of the downoi already but I need to be more aggressive.

I'm not supplementing carbon at all, no excel or Co2 and I'm barely fertilizing either, just a few drops every week with the water change and I don't remember to turn the light on every day either. The tank is next to a window and gets some natural light but that window is sort of in the shade of a wall so doesn't get super sunlight through it or anything.

The plants are growing very slowly but they seem healthy enough and Im not having huge algae problems or anything so I'm quite happy with the tank ticking over super low tech. It's the easiest tank to care for that Ive had so far and I'm really happy with how it looks.

#30 ·
The plants are growing very slowly but they seem healthy enough and Im not having huge algae problems or anything so I'm quite happy with the tank ticking over super low tech. It's the easiest tank to care for that Ive had so far and I'm really happy with how it looks.
Then it seems like you've hit the "sweet spot" that many aquarists dream of. Congratulations! :D

#34 ·
I took out the filter and bought a new quieter one. Don't know where to buy the tank. Like I said at the start it was a practical fishkeeping magazine subscription gift for me

Also Im a she not a he but yes I live in Scotland

#36 ·
Update, the tank had a mini meltdown over Xmas, the lights aren't on a timer so when I was away for 2 weeks I figured I'd leave them off since the tank is next to a window anyway. My fish sitter who came to check on the tanks turned the lights on so they were on 24/7 for a while.

The tank is still pretty to look at and the shrimp are healthy but I think I might need to do stuff to it more than I've been doing. Sorting out the plants some and fertilize. We'll see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.