The Planted Tank Forum banner

paintball CO2 / Regulator question

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Darkblade48 
#1 ·
My professor let me dig through the lab's spare parts box and i found a matheson regulator with some red tape on it marked "good" , i found that a paintball CO2 cylinder fits perfectly onto this regulator without any adaptors but noticed that the regulator end does not have anything that would push the pin on the CO2 tank... am I missing something here? how can i make this work? I dont know anything about CO2 setups, this will be my first try at it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Without a better picture of the nut, I cannot be sure, but it appears to be a CGA320 nut.

You will need to find a paintball to CGA320 adapter (can be easily found online). The adapter will depress the pin down and allow gas to flow into the regulator.

Without more information regarding the regulator, I cannot give any details, but I assume you checked and ensured the regulator's working pressures are suitable.

Similarly, since we usually operate from 10-30 PSI or so, if the low pressure gauge's lowest value is (say) 100 PSI, it will be quite difficult to use.

Finally, you will need to replace the output side on the regulator (at the very least, you will need a needle/metering valve).

I would recommend you use a solenoid in addition to the needle valve, so that you can control your CO2 via a timer.

For more information regarding the parts required for pressurized CO2, please take a look at my pressurized CO2 guide (linked in my signature).

Edit: One last thing, you will want to somehow secure/strap down that paintball canister when it is in use, because it will certainly be top heavy with the regulator. As I'm sure you already know, you cannot use the cylinder on its side.

#3 ·
the low pressure gauge reads 0-100 lbs/in2 in increments of 10.

the solenoid is optional and not completely essential correct?

the paintball adapter is for the pin push? I always thought it was for converting thread sizes

also, there is a big valve on the front of the regulator and a black valve on the side of it (the black one on the left side of the picture), are these two valves not adequate?

#6 ·
the solenoid is optional and not completely essential correct?
Correct. You will only lose the ability to control it via a timer.

the paintball adapter is for the pin push? I always thought it was for converting thread sizes
My mistake; I was writing that quite late at night. Let me clarify:

The most common ones are ones that will depress the pin and convert to CGA320. There is no on/off, so you need to attach the converter to the regulator, and then screw that onto the cylinder. As you screw it down, the pin will get depressed. Do not screw the adapter onto the cylinder alone, as the pin will get depressed, but you have nothing to hold the gas back, and it will just escape.

There are other adapters that will depress the pin, and also have an on/off switch. You could look into these as well.

also, there is a big valve on the front of the regulator and a black valve on the side of it (the black one on the left side of the picture), are these two valves not adequate?
I am not sure which big valve you are talking about at the front of the regulator. Are you sure you are not talking about the adjustment handle?

The side valve that you are discussing must be removed.

The parts that must be removed are boxed in red. You need to replace them with a needle/metering valve.

here is the regulator I have, under design features it says that it is equipped with a needle valve
The needle valve that is supplied (the parts that were boxed in red in the above picture) is likely not suitable for our needs as it will not allow for fine enough control of the CO2 flow.

Also, I noticed from the specification sheet, that it has a CGA170 connection by default. You will want to replace this with a CGA320 stem and nut as well.

Finally, after doing all this, you will need to ensure that the regulator is in full working condition. I have never converted a regulator that was originally made for natural gas (the CGA170 standard).

#5 ·
Definitely keep it upright, as Darkblade said. If not, you'll have liquid CO2 in your reg... This not good at all...
You can run it without a solenoid. I have a 10G that I run with a 20oz tank and a paintball gun vertical regulator. I turn it on and off every day/night by the adjuster. You have to watch your setting, but the only variance I have errs to the side of too little flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.