The Planted Tank Forum banner

showpiece/centerpiece fish?

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JustJen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so I'm in the process of getting my 40 breeder up and running and in the mean time i was wondering what your ideas would be on a showpiece or centerpiece fish. I'm not a fan of gouramis so they're out of the question. thanks.

i forgot to mention that my 20 long will be coming down and what's in it will be going into the 40 breeder. i have 5 bloodfin tetras 5 black neon tetras 2 sae 1 albino bridles 3 julii corys and a bunch of rams horn snails.

Bump: and it'll be somewhat moderately planted.

filtration will be a submerged sump with a flow rate of about 350gph. maybe more if i don't use a powerhead low i currently am in my 20l. ph is around 7.2ish with co2. temp is controlled to turn heart on when temp falls below 79 and turn off when it hits 80.

#3 ·
i forgot to mention that my 20 long will be coming down and what's in it will be going into the 40 breeder. i have 5 bloodfin tetras 5 black neon tetras 2 sae 1 albino bridles 3 julii corys and a bunch of rams horn snails.

Bump: and it'll be somewhat moderately planted.
The sae need MUCH larger tank than you have
Crossocheilus langei ? Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilos langei, SAE) ? Seriously Fish
150cm=60"
I'd suggest re-homing them.

What is an albino bridles? Do you mean bristlenoes pleco?

You should keep cory in shoals of 6 or more, get another 3. I'd also add 1 of each tetra you have to get their #s to 6. Also look at your cory, you most likely have false julii not tru julli cory.
true julii
Corydoras julii ? Julii Cory ? Seriously Fish

false as julii aka 3 lined cory (what petco/petsmart mis-sells as true julii)
Corydoras trilineatus (Three-lined Cory) ? Seriously Fish

With 6 of each tetra, a bristlenose, and 6 cory you are at 50% stocking according to aqadvisor.com, so don't worry about that making the tank over stocked, round out your numbers. You could even go to a total of 8 of each tetra and the cory.

As for center piece you could try Apistos or rams as another option. Don't think that I'd do an angel fish, their temperaments vary, some are docile some are real [censor] holes.

#11 ·
If you take a look at a 55 gallon, you'll see that it has 576 sq in for foot print and surface area and on top of that a 55 gallon holds 52.4 gallons according to aquaadvisor. Now let's look at the 40 breeder. It has 648 sq in for foot print and surface area and holds 44.9 gallons. Where's the argument? More surface area, a larger swimming foot print, and holds 7.5 gallons less than a 55. For the exception of height of the tank, I'd take a 40 breeder over a 55 any day.

#12 ·
Sorry, just for my information and visualisation, what is the dimensions of your standard 55 gallon tanks?
I always called mine 55 gallons, but they are closer to 60 gallon, the actual water content would be about 55gal.
Mine is 46"x 18" x18"

#13 ·
55 Gal is 48L x12W x 16H.

I also agree, the SAE will be fine on a 40BR tank. 6" is the maximum, they usually stay at 4-5".

I would also up all your schools, the fish are much happier.

For centerpiece fish, other than what has been mentioned above, you could do a several Swordtails. They come in all kinds of colors....

#14 ·
I do plan on increasing my bloodfin tetras to 12-15. Once the tank is setup, I will be looking at rehoming my black neon tetras. I will also be increasing my julii Cory's too, providing I can find the real julii's again. Thanks for the idea on centerpiece. I'm going to have to look in to them.

#15 ·
They should be ok, I'd just steer away from the larger varieties.
I breed with swordtails and platies, and the large swords needs a larger tank ( I'd recommend 75gal and up).
I 'm trying to cross large swordtails with the platies in hopes of developing larger strains. They do come in awesome colours as well as nearly colourless. My favourite is a pearlescent white top and bottom with black tuxedo, but the pineapple strains are also nice.
They are fast and active. Also they like a bit of fast current in the water, so don't make good tank mates for fish that likes slower moving water, or slow eaters for that matter.
Also the bigger ones poop like it is nobody's business, we are talking earthworm sized poops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.