The Planted Tank Forum banner

Kuhli Loach

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  thedood 
#1 ·
I am going to purchase more live stock for my 75g. Right now the tanks inhabitants consist of several plant species. Snails in the form of mts, ramshorn, bladder, and 3 nerites. I also have 9 otocinclus in there. The next step I think is to add to my clean up crew. I am looking at kuhli loaches as a possibility.

My water parameters are 8.2ish ph, 9gh, 12kh. How will they do in those water parameters?

Substrate is yard dirt/potting soil mix capped with fine white blasting sand.

Filtration is a Magnum 350 with the media basket filled with ceramic bio media topped with a nylon scrubby, I ran out of ceramic. The intake is coming through an ATI sponge pre-filter. I also have a Hagen Elite Hush 55 filled with lava rock and a couple of pothos plants growing in it. The Hagen has its flow set to the minimum setting. Before I move the Kuhlis in I would add a sponge pre-filter to the intake side of the Hagen.

I am considering a purchase of 6 to 8 fish. Any advice or recommendations on kuhlis based on your experience with them?

I have a thread I requesting info about quarantine tanks. Any recommendations there as I plan to quarantine the new fish for a month or so?

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#2 ·
Water parameters shouldn't be an issue if your fish store is in the same city/area with the same water supply. Consistency is more important, I feel, than trying to mimic a fish's native water conditions.

Kuhli loaches are awesome. Getting a group is a great idea, because they can be shy. I have five in a ten gallon, and found that they became more active and bold when I added leaf litter to the tank. I'm not saying you have to do the same -- I just think they appreciate some cover. Before the leaf litter, mine just hid under the driftwood. If I had a bigger set up for them, I'd keep a dozen or more! They are great in a group.

They have a great sense of smell, and you'll see them instantly perk up when you add food to the tank.

Good luck.

#6 ·
How much burrowing do you see with them? I don't want plants uprooted but if they turn over top bit of sand on a regular basis that would be great. Its one of the reasons I am looking at them actually.

#7 ·
I never had problems with mine uprooting plants. I didn't have anything delicate -- just val. They're currently in a plant-free tank with lots of leaves and some driftwood. That's just because I wanted to do something different and low-maintenance, not because of any issues I had with them.

Mine peck at the surface of the sand bed for food, but don't actually dig into and burrow under/into the substrate. They prefer to hide under something -- leaves, driftwood or the sponge filter.

#8 ·
#10 ·
I have had some years and years ago. So far from what I am reading they should make a great addition to my tank. Any recommended sellers for these?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.