The Planted Tank Forum banner

Coldwater nano fish?

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gabysapha 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 6g walstad style nano tank on my desk. I moved to a new apartment that is much colder than my previous living place. The tank reads 60-65 degrees this month.

I would like to put livestock in this tank but I am unsure what fish are hardy enough to thrive in a walstad bowl/nano that is also unheated.

I have kept H. formosa and RCS in unheated containers before, but nothing else.

thanks!

#4 ·
Ah, I forgot about pygmy sunfish. Not sure if a 6g is large enough for them but I'll keep them in mind.

Ah yes, WCMM are really lovely fish. I had longfins a couple years ago and they are very pretty. I found them to be pretty active so I don't think a 6g is large enough, but someday I'd love to set up a tank for them again!

Which got me thinking, paradise fish can tolerate "cold" water but 6g is a little small for them?

#8 ·
Heterandria formosa- the smallest north american fish and the smallest livebearer period. Does well in 60-78 degree water, but prefers the cooler end. Easy and hardy as heck. And great personality. And looks nice. And and and...and I'm sentimental over my colony that I gave away...

#10 ·
Paradise fish hit 3-4 inches WITHOUT the tail and would definitely be too large...believe me, my paradise fish (who never reached that size due to newbie mistakes) used every inch of my 29 gallon, which is currently the smallest tank I would keep PF's in. However, Parasphaerichthys lineatus (and possibly its slightly larger cousin, P. ocellatus) would likely work in there in a pair or even a group for P. lineatus. Granted, neither is usually especially colorful, but both are poorly studied and they could be an excellent target for a journal on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.