The Planted Tank Forum banner

Boesemani Eggs!! Advice Needed.

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  plaakapong 
#1 ·
I recently moved my 3 boesemani rainbows (picture 1) into a new 70g planted tank.
I thought they were all males and was looking to get some females to add to the shoal. My LFS had no boesemani in stock but i did get some rummy nose tetras to add to the tank for the time being.

After adding the rummy noses to the tank, i noticed 2 bunches of eggs in the back corner, beside the filter intake and co2 diffuser(see pictures 2 to 4).

I moved the adults to their old tank but i could catch any of the tetras. I have put filter floss around the filter intake (eheim 2315) and added an air stone.

Does anyone have any tips for raising the fry?

Will the fry be safe with the rummy nose tetras in the tank?

I also have a few bronze corys in the tank. I assume these are fry safe?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Picture 1
Organism Aquatic plant Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Fish supply

Picture 2
Plumbing fixture Toilet Aquatic plant Towel Aquarium decor

Picture 3
Green Grass Grass family Plastic Transparency

Picture 4
Fluid Glass Liquid Transparent material Aquarium decor

See less See more
#2 ·
Step 1: Make sure they are not snail eggs
Step 2: Either get the eggs out of the tank, or remove any other occupants, as otherwise the eggs will be unceremoniously eaten.
Step 3: Wait for the eggs to happen. If these turn out to be rummynose eggs rather than rainbow eggs, they will not hatch unless the water is acidic and soft.
Step 4: When the fry hatch, they will need infusoria at first, followed by bbs or other typical fry foods.

#3 ·
Hi Mounty1512,

Here are some instructions that worked well for me; I am currently raising 50+ Melanotaenia boesemani 'Antiko' fry from eggs I got from Gary Lange. Here is what the fry looked like 10 weeks ago at 3 days of age.

http://vimeo.com/88724232

#6 ·
Thanks Seattle. They are so cool. I cant see the instructions... did i miss something?:confused1:

Good luck with the eggs/fry! Partitioning would be awesome if you can get something to fit the tank and be a fine enough mesh to keep newborns from swimming through and getting sucked up by other fish.
I managed to make a temporary barricade for the eggs using a couple of plastic condensation trays(see pic). Also managed to get 3 of the tetra into the other tank and then gave up. Maybe ill try again tomorrow.

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Pet supply Fish supply Aquatic plant

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure they are not snail eggs. I've never had snail eggs this large. They are usually more transparent and 'squidgy', in my experience.

I know they aren't from the rummy noses as the eggs were spotted while they were being added.

I'll have another go at removing tetras and the corys. It took 2 days to get the corys in the tank so im not looking forward to catching them again. But if it protects the fry it will be worth it.

I might look at finding a way to partition the large tank to keep the corys and rummys on one side.

Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Good luck with the eggs/fry! Partitioning would be awesome if you can get something to fit the tank and be a fine enough mesh to keep newborns from swimming through and getting sucked up by other fish.

#9 ·
Definitely not rainbow eggs. Congrats, you have 100s of Cory eggs though :)
Get a sharp blade and scrape them off the glass and into a internal breeder box otherwise the Cory's and rainbows will have a good feast tonight.

#11 ·
You might just let them be and see what happens. You've got lots of plants for fry to hide in, that is if they are fertilized. I have a group of c. paleatus that spawn continually and I get a fry or two now and then. Females will often just unload whether or not a male is ready, especially in a situation like yours where she's just been moved to a new tank.

#12 ·
So it's probably a false alarm. Oh well. Just have to wait and see if anything happens. Think ill get the fish back in the 70g. i did notice that one of my assassin snails wouldn't leave the eggs alone.

Thanks for all your help plaakapong. I will update in a few days if fry appear.

#13 ·
I wouldn't say probably, but possibly. You'll be able to tell in a day or so. But.... those snails are likely to make short work of them! Maybe scrape off a portion(gently) and put them in a breeder box or the like. IME cories spawn regularly when conditions are right so hopefully this isn't a one time deal. Good luck and happy to help.

#16 ·
Ok. So i got some of the eggs in a medium net and fry have already started to appear. They are definitely cory fry as the eggs only took a few days to hatch and they cling onto the side and bottom of the net.

I've added some flame moss for them to pick on once their egg sacks are used up. When should i start to feed them? i was thinking i should probably wait about a week.

#17 ·
My rainbows laid eggs in moss always.. Those are cory eggs. Mine lay them every 3 days on the glass. I have had three survive on their own. I did nothing. I have yoyo's now so no more eggs are gonna survive anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.