The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

care of killiefish in a community tank

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  GDominy 
#1 ·
I went to a killiefish show over the weekend, and came home with a trio that went into my 30 gal community tank. I hope I didn't just consign these 3 beauties to a slow death from starvation and harrassment. Any thoughts on how I might best be able to make these guys happy?

The guys at the show said they should do alright. Tho they prefer live food, if hungry, they will eat just about anything.

I feed flake, sinking shrimp pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, and veggies. My tank is quite heavily planted, with lots of rocks and wood - caves, niches, overhangs, etc. I have 3 small schools of tetras, 3 dwarf guorami, 3 cories, 2 black mollies, an br. pleco, and several otos.

So far, the killies seem to be hanging pretty low deep in the plants or in rock caves. They haven't hassled anyone, nor has anyone else hassled them. But the killies seem a little shy and my other fish are such pigs, I don't know if they are leaving enough food for the killies.

If I add some live food, how do I make sure my foodhogs don't snarf it all?

Any thoughts on how I can make these beauties happy in my tank?

See less See more
#2 ·
The only possible conflict that might occur in the tank might be between the dwarf gouramis and killis. I do not know if the gouramis will take liking to the killis when they begin to display their fins and colours. The conflict also occurs with some dwarf cichlids and killis.

#4 ·
fundulop. deltaense 'Bayelsa'

I have not seen any aggression yet - either by or towards the killies. Last night and this a.m. they seemed to be venturing out a little more. My main concern is seeing that they get enough food.

#5 ·
Killi should be kept in pair in a species only tank. If not, your fish will be dead in a year. Their entire purpose in life is to reproduce, they can be found in the wild in what looks to be just a puddle with an inch and a half of water in it.

You should take a pair, put it in a 10g with a mophead rig to spawn on and breed your fish. If you don't, they'll be gone.

BTW,

Cover any opening in your tank's top. They are excellent jumpers.

#6 ·
Killies will do fine in a community tank. While some Killies live only one year others will live longer, though not more than a few years. I have one male Fundulopanchax gardneri that is almost 2 years old. I've even had a few fry survive in a heavily planted tank though not many. As Fatguy noted, they will jump so make sure the tank is well covered, I lost one out of a 1/2" x 1/2" opening. They are really easy to breed, put a pair or trio(1m2f) in a 10g and watch them breed. A mop works well and even thick java moss will work. They fry will eat any small food and once they color up you can trade them to your LFS for credit as they are unusual enough that most LFS will take them.

Alex

#7 ·
It appears some people are quite confident in making absolute generalized statements, but I, for one, am not one of them. For example, I would keep most Cynolebias spp. in species tanks, while robust lampeyes and killies such as Norman's lampeye or the golden wonder killie would do fine in a community setting, provided that there are no dominant trophic (food) competitors and no other fish that have the potential to become prey or predator. Aphyosemion (Fundulopanchax) deltaense is one of the latter species that I would feel reasonably comfortable putting into a community tank. However, I don't like the presence of mollies, as much because of their potential to pick on the killies as their preference for brackish water.

#8 ·
Hmm. I haven't seen my mollies act in the least bit aggressive toward any of the fish in my community - nor to the new killies. I'll keep an eye out, tho. As I said, this tank has tons of places for fish to hide - if that is what they care to do.

As far as brackish water - well - the mllies might prefer that, but they ain't getting it in my tank! ;) Actually, the guys at the killi show said killies might like a little salt in the water.

Gotta cover up the top. Recently replaced my HOB w/ a canister, so I have a long slit in the back of the top. What do you use to "patch" such a hole?

#9 ·
eds said:
As far as brackish water - well - the mllies might prefer that, but they ain't getting it in my tank! ;) Actually, the guys at the killi show said killies might like a little salt in the water.
This is another example of an overgeneralized statement, since not all killies are created equal. I won't belabor the point, but if you notice the mollies succumbing to ill health and/or stunting, then you'll know it's time to provide them with the proper housing. Hopefully it won't be a situation where it's too late.

eds said:
Gotta cover up the top. Recently replaced my HOB w/ a canister, so I have a long slit in the back of the top. What do you use to "patch" such a hole?
I usually just go out and buy a new strip.

#11 ·
2la said:
eds said:
I usually just go out and buy a new strip.
Why bother. Why not just make a DIY cover and not spend the money.

You could use anything ranging from a piece of cut plexiglass to a yard stick depending on personal preference.

#12 ·
At the suggestion of some guys in the general forum, I'm gonna see what I can do with some black plastic sheeting and superglue.

#13 ·
Fat Guy said:

You could use anything ranging from a piece of cut plexiglass to a yard stick depending on personal preference.
Because for the price of cut plexiglass or a yardstick, you can get one and maybe two or three (in the case of plexiglass) new plastic strips.

#15 ·
Just wanted to let you all know my killies are doing fine. All 3 seem to be plump and growing. Have staked out their little territories near the bottom of the tank - amidst some of the thickest plantings, but readily come out to feed or just to swim around at times. No signs of significant aggressiveness towards of from any other fish.

Have recently chopped up some earthworks a couple of times - they seem to really love that fresh meat!

Haven't gotten around to covering that gap in my cover yet - but no escapees to date.

Thanks for all the info.

#16 ·
2la said:
Fat Guy said:

Because for the price of cut plexiglass or a yardstick, you can get one and maybe two or three (in the case of plexiglass) new plastic strips.
Dude, he's just trying to fill the gap. You can buy a 2" wide wooden slat from any hardward store for like $0.47. Don't tell me buying a new plastic strip is cheaper :roll:

Sorry Eds, had to add wood to the old fire there. I didn't see why you needed to spend money buying a new plastic strip for something so simple as covering up the tiny gap in the back of the tank.

Great to hear about the killies. Many of them are very hardy little fish. :p

#18 ·
Great thinking :p .... an old ruler would work too, or you could cut an old hockey stick, or a piece of vinyl siding, a car bumper, a shoe, some meat loaf, any of these things will block that small gap and keep the fish in the tank... all are plausible and cheap answers to what eds was inquiring about instead of investing in a new plastic strip.

I'll let you get the last word though:

#19 ·
Uh - I have to respectfully suggest that meatloaf might not be the best choice. Might train any little carnivores to jump to obtain food. Then when they eat a hole in the ground beef tank cover, they might continue their jumping and escape. Moreover, if one wanted to go the protein route, thinly sliced deli meats might present an aestetically preferable option to meat loaf.

Moreover, salts from the meats might help create a brackish environment...

OTOH - my wife did say she wore out a pair of shoes the other day...

Am I gonna have to separate you two? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.