Trying to determine if I am overstocked... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trying to determine if I am overstocked...

9 Scissortail Rasboras (each maybe 2")
6 Guppies (average)
5 Cardinal Tetras (each an inch)
4 Ottos (average)
2 Flying Fox (each 2.5")
1 Cory (1.5")

Fairly heavily planted 30 gallon. I would estimate after substrate and plants and rocks/driftwood is is maybe 26 gallons of water. Fluval 50 filter.

I am transferring my Guppies to a 10 gal to try not to be overstocked. But am I really over stocked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

you're close. if it were me I would add 5 more cories and be done with it.

-Jacklyn
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
you're close. if it were me I would add 5 more cories and be done with it.
I want to add at least two more cories, just it is hard to find anything besides albino and emerald ones at the LFS here. I want to find two more False Julji (sp?) ones so he has some friends. And soon.

I am taking the guppies out to put in a 10 gallon. Unless this isn't actually overstocked. If not, I was really wanting to get 8-10 celestrial pearls for the 10 gallon. Finally have a LFS that carries those.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Albino or emerald cories tend to get reasonably large for cories. Definitely look for more Julii-ish cories instead. Honestly, there's pretty much no difference between juliis, false juliis, and whatever other kind there is. There's like three species that look about the same, they can all be put together and should do fine.
I don't think you're overstocked at all... Few more cories would fit, I'd say. It does depend a bit on various things, but that many fish in a med/heavy planted tank should be alright. Everything you've listed has a slim body shape, which is good.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

if your tank is planted then chances are you can get away with being a little overstocked, that is if you do your water changes the way you should. I think you are fine. I also feel that any variety of cory will do fine.

-Jacklyn
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

most of the time a lfs will order specific species for you and pay the shipping cost. Buying some more cores would be a good idea.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

27 fish in 26 gallons of water? Most will say yes but like mentioned above, doing lots of water changes will let you get away with what you have.

Definitely transfer the guppies to the 10. I started with 7 (4fx3m) last month and now have the original 7 plus 20+ fast growing fry.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

There is no hard rule on stocking. IMO stocking isn't about inches per gallon or specific numbers. It's whether or not your fish are showing any signs of stress from feeling over crowded and whether or not you can keep your water parameters in check.

It's really about taking a step back, looking at your tank, and seeing if it looks "busy" or "too busy for any more additions".

If you want to keep the guppies in your 30gal and keep the 10gal free for other fish, then go for it. Just be sure that you can accommodate any potential fry as already mentioned and possible stocking issues in the future.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

On second thought, keep the Guppies in the 30g. There is no way fry will survive with so many fish. Live food once or twice a month doesn't sound too bad. Your fish will actually enjoy it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

No, but that filter is quite small for that tank IMO, which means you really have to watch the overfeeding, decaying plant matter, etc since you are at higher risk for ammonia spikes. Nothing to worried about if you're experienced at keeping fish.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The guppies are all males, so no worry there.

None of the fish seem stressed. Although since I moved, my Flying Foxes hide in the swords most of the day.

It certainly does not look busy, especially when I tell people in person I feel it is overstocked LOL. The ottos all hang out on the sword leaves. The cardinals stay behind a bunch of plants near some driftwood if anyone is near the tank. The guppies are all over the place. And the rasboras stay in a group on whatever side they decide.

And yes, I really really really want to get two more cories. I was given a LFS a chance to see if they got any more like it, but I feel I am going to have to request some from a different LFS.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneRogue View Post
No, but that filter is quite small for that tank IMO, which means you really have to watch the overfeeding, decaying plant matter, etc since you are at higher risk for ammonia spikes. Nothing to worried about if you're experienced at keeping fish.
Curious, the 50 is meant for tanks 20 to 50 gallons, so I figured it was the best option. Should I really look at investing in a different filter?

I have an Aqueon 10 I was going to use in the new 10gal, I suppose I could get a different filter for the 30gal and use the AC50 on my 10 gal but set it at its slowest setting.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's actually best to filter a tank at twice its capacity, so long as your fish aren't being blown around. Thing with any filter that has a varied size range like that is it's probably only decent for a 20ish gallon tank, plus they often test those filters without filter media. In short, get another of those filters, at least, and that should work.
For the 10g, either use two of the 10g filters or use the one you have on the 30. Don't lower the setting unless fish are getting pushed around a lot. If you have one high-current spot, that's alright. It's very hard to over-filter a tank.
Test your water now and then... Get onto a water change schedule where nitrates stay at an acceptable level, and you're good so long as nothing freaks.
Acceptable levels for nitrates vary wildly on who you ask, but under 20 seems to be a good number.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
It's actually best to filter a tank at twice its capacity, so long as your fish aren't being blown around. Thing with any filter that has a varied size range like that is it's probably only decent for a 20ish gallon tank, plus they often test those filters without filter media. In short, get another of those filters, at least, and that should work.
For the 10g, either use two of the 10g filters or use the one you have on the 30. Don't lower the setting unless fish are getting pushed around a lot. If you have one high-current spot, that's alright. It's very hard to over-filter a tank.
Test your water now and then... Get onto a water change schedule where nitrates stay at an acceptable level, and you're good so long as nothing freaks.
Acceptable levels for nitrates vary wildly on who you ask, but under 20 seems to be a good number.
I do agree that perhaps the 30 gallon could use more. But the Aqueon 10 is 100GPH. I thought the goal was around 10x the amount of water?

I have been a bit worried about the flow in my 30gal. The fish seem happy but on the far left and right the flow seems to be non-existent.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When in doubt, add a bigger or more filters. All of my tanks (aside from my nano's) have multiple filters.

Its a good safety percussion incase something happens to one of the filters, and it helps keep everything clean (or at least relatively so).

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode