The Planted Tank Forum banner

White Cloud Minnows

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  vihaga 
#1 ·
About to start a new tank for this species. This will be my first time not having to use a heater so I'm excited about it.

My tank will be mostly only white clouds w/ very few other species in it. Any other pointers about this species? pH preferences? Peaceful vs agression towards other species?

#4 ·
Most of the hillstream loaches and associated type loaches (red lizard, batik, ect.) would make a good companion species. I'd imagine some wild type neocaradina or flower shrimp would do great in that sort of fast water stream tank with rockwork and a strong current. Maybe look into the Hillstream loach set up on loaches.com. Practical Fishkeeping did a great biotope set up for White clouds and the images and setup pics were amazing. Seriously Fish always has amazing work on the specific localities they are found in with water parameters, so I would direct you there as opposed to just copying their stuff.

#5 ·
Practical Fishkeeping did a great biotope set up for White clouds and the images and setup pics were amazing.
Thanks for the reference. I actually looked up and found that article online, it was quite informative. I didn't realize this species was more comfortable in fast flowing/strong current type waters. Will have to make that happen with my existing canister filter.

#6 ·
The plumbing and power heads to set up a stream tank are not a bad price either. Even setting your canister up in that manner should be doable. Glad to help, that tank always makes me want a biotope for them, lol.

#8 · (Edited)
White clouds are always found with paradise fish in the wild and are conveniently just large enough not to be eaten by one, so in a large enough (I.E 29 gallon) tank, you could keep a 1m1f pair of PF's with a group of white cloud minnows (keyword: pair...lone male PF's are about as unpredictable with tank mates as bettas are, with the added problem of being much larger and surprisingly fast) as long as the paradise fish are added last. If you go that setup, I'd advise having a quarantine tank on hand just in case the male PF does not play nice with the female (chasing and some nipping is fine and would not necessitate moving the female: ripping off chunks of fins is not, however, and the female should be removed promptly if this happens). I myself am planning to add white clouds to a 29 gallon already inhabited by a pair of paradise fish, 12 zebra danios, and 2 female variatus platies (the sole survivors of an unsuccessful attempt to establish a group of variatus platies in the tank...their 3 other compatriots died of illness).

About the white clouds themselves...they shouldn't bother other species, especially if kept in the usual school /shoal of 8+ fish. Males do argue with each other somewhat, but this shouldn't be a problem in tanks at least the size of a 15 gallon.

#9 ·
My white clouds don't bother anything, but they're in a tank with dojo loaches. I'd like to see a white cloud bullying dojo 8x its size (they probably could, though, as the dojos are the most peaceful fish I've ever kept.).

Watching the males "flare" at each other and display for the females is really entertaining, and I also like that they range all over the tank. They're "go-to" fish for cold water tanks for a good reason.

#11 ·
Love my cloud minnows! I have 6 in a 30 g along with Panda corys. These minnows do pester one another... the females are bossy :) Like vihaga says, their displaying is very fun to watch! They love the Cory shrimp pellets! I definitely have to sink them after the lights are out to ensure the minnows don't eat it all. Or I'll drop 2 of them so they share. The minnows follow the cory's around knowing that food gets picked up when they scurry across the sand. Smart little guys ;)

#12 ·
they are cold water fish like gold fish according to online sources. but ihave 6 of them in my 20 long with neon tetras with the temp at 78 degrees. they are really neat fish, especially the males, but if you have community tank, when its feeding time, they are really fast swimmers and might eat a majority of the food you put in before your other fish get a chance to sense it.
my pH is around 7.0 when the co2 is on.

so far everythn is good

#16 ·
It depends on your expectations, I guess. I've had a colony in a tank with white clouds, and the colony was thriving despite the white clouds picking off shrimplets. (I never actually saw them eat a bigger one, but I obviously can't say it didn't happen.)

HOWEVER, there were quite a few plants, and about half the tank was taken up with a gigantic mass of java moss, which I'm sure contributed substantially to their survival. If your tank isn't decent-sized and chock full of hiding places, I probably wouldn't bother trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.