A Chocolate Gourami Journal **Vaillianti FRY 9-1-14** - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Those are beautiful! I love the pointy noses and little masks... So cute!
I considered some at one point, but all the information I found online seemed to show that they're very delicate. They're absolutely gorgeous... Are they showing any signs of being delicate at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Nice find, I have not seen them anywhere and I've been looking for years. All I've read is that they are a challange. I hope you can share your personal experiences with the rest of us.

Please keep the journal going

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #18 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nice. Chocolate gouramis are among my favorite fish, and I just set up a tank that will eventually hold a large group of them. I look forward to seeing your progress.

If you have access to TFH back issues there was a detailed article about this species in the December 2003 issue.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #19 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

There's an article on breeding the Chocolate Gourami at aquarticles.com and another article by John Rundle on practicalfishkeeping.co.uk. I really hope you succeed with these fish.
post #20 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips on info everyone

As far as them being delicate, yes they are more delicate than most fish BUT...I dont feel as delicate as available info would lead you to believe (knocking on every piece of wood in the house!).

I only say this because the LFS i got them at only had them a very short time. In fact, when i asked how long they had them i got "honestly, i knew we had them 2 seconds after you asked me about them." SO not much info to be had on where they came from, however they looked great. Healthy, active, and the price couldnt be beat so i had to take them. After about a 30 minute car ride, i drip acclimated them for about 2 hours.

Within an hour of putting them into the tank, they had colored up and i tossed in a few live brine shrimp and they ate immediately. They are no doubt super timid fish, and spook very easily but just in 4 days they are coming out more and more and showing stress colors less and less.

Now some other interesting factors to note. I feel my params are good, however they in no way match what basically every source of info shows. They are housed in a ten gallon tank. My ph is a neutral 7. GH approx 4-5 KH 3. It is a fully planted tank, driftwood, floaters, neutral substrate with root tabs, and some IALs. Heavily filtered, very low flow, lots of open space. I also have these gouramis only in this tank to minimize stress. They are also in my tank room so its nice and quiet and no one walks by the tanks.

I feel that these fish should more than be able to tolerate my setup, in fact thats my ultimate goal with these. I want to try and "hardy" up this species. So far they are all active and have eaten every day. They flare and show courting behavior already, and ive only had them 4 days really. They are certainly more of a picky eater than most fish, at least what meets the eye. In my room i have a chair that is front and center to view my rack-o-tanks, so naturally i spend a lot of time in said chair, and what ive noticed is they definitely feed better with live foods often taking them in the water column once they ensure they are moving. But with frozen brine shrimp initially they will go right up and usually not touch them and let them fall to the floor, but as i sit for a while these guys start to hunt and scour the carpet and eat them sitting still. Their eyesite is amazing from what i can tell and they spend most of their time hunting, my guess is when they are alive its a no brainer to eat this, but when they arent alive, they eat them off the ground because of how good their eyesite is. Almost as though the brine shrimp is sitting still as not to be eaten, so they assume its alive. Its amazing how much they inspect everything.

Anyway, sorry for the spill there lol i just really cant get over these fish and can only bore the girlfriend so much! They are unlike any fish i've had thats for sure, hopefully i can have luck with them and spread them around Thanks for looking all.

Last edited by Duck5003; 12-27-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: ID10T error
post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower

I've had six in my 29g lo-tech for 2+ years. They are refuting all that I heard about their sensitivities, and are thriving in pH6.8 on flakes.
So I got 3 Licorice Gouramis from Adams in Chester, NJ, and one disappeared, but two have flourished for about a year now. They are exquisite, especially when they display-like beautiful little Peacocks. So I pressured Adam to get me more so they'd be more visible, and he just got 30 in. (10ea of 3 varieties). I took 8.
Definitely fish for a small serene place-highly recommend!
PS: incidentally-these pictures don't show anyone really displaying. Imagine a pissed off Betta for a better idea!
PPS: Adams Pet Safari usually has Choclate Gouramis as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	251801  

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	251809  

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	251817  

Last edited by pfcs49; 12-28-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add photos
post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
I've had six in my 29g lo-tech for 2+ years. They are refuting all that I heard about their sensitivities, and are thriving in pH6.8 on flakes.
So I got 3 Licorice Gouramis from Adams in Chester, NJ, and one disappeared, but two have flourished for about a year now. They are exquisite, especially when they display-like beautiful little Peacocks. So I pressured Adam to get me more so they'd be more visible, and he just got 30 in. (10ea of 3 varieties). I took 8.
Definitely fish for a small serene place-highly recommend!
PS: incidentally-these pictures don't show anyone really displaying. Imagine a pissed off Betta for a better idea!
PPS: Adams Pet Safari usually has Choclate Gouramis as well.
Very pretty fish and tank.
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

pfcs49-nice looking fish! That chocolate is dark. Every had any luck with them breeding?

-Update on mine, i went to another one of my LFS today and they had a tank of chocolates. About a dozen or so. The more i watch the first 3 i got a week ago i am pretty sure they are all females (at least 2 are). Out of the dozen or so my lfs had, two of them were much darker than the rest and also have the signs i HAVEN't been able to find on my 3 so i grabbed them. Pretty sure they are males. But an interesting note, the LFS i went to is one of my favorites around but i havent been able to get there as much since i moved. They said they have had these fish for about 2 months and they have been doing great. They are eating pellet food and in 7-7.2 water. TDS of the water in the bag when i got back was 307 and it was only about an hour drive. More hope for breeding a hardier chocolate gourami I'll post some pics later tonight or tomorrow!
post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Depending on how large your tank is you may want to get more. I recall in the TFH article I mentioned earlier the author suggested keeping a dozen in an 80 gallon tank. There is a lot of social interaction with this species.

O_o
\_\
post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wasnt able to get access to that article. 5 is my limit for the setup i have now, but it is 1$/gallon sale at petco i believe and i have room for more tanks so an upgraded chocolate tank may very well be in my future.

Axelrodi202-do you just have to subscribe to TFH to gain access? Or is it available elsewhere?
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure but I think you should be able to view it if you are subscribed to TFH digital. Given the nature of publishing deals and such I doubt it's available elsewhere. Basically it stresses the importance of the acclimation process (which you seem to be doing well with). There was a second article from January 2004 detailing the process of breeding and fry development.

O_o
\_\
post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I subscribed to the digital copy, it only goes back to 2007. Really cool magazine though! I've been reading all night lol so thanks for the tip snapped some pictures to cause i was bored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20131229_224146_994.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	255897  

Name:	IMG_20140106_164900_111.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	255905  

Name:	IMG_20131227_100416_061.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	255913  

Last edited by Duck5003; 01-06-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Re-add pics
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A little update with these fish. So far up to 5. All doing very well. Here is a quick video at feeding time, i have found they go crazy over blood worms. They are even starting to take pellets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_7X...ature=youtu.be

I'm starting to up the feedings to fatten up the females. I'm going to try and get them to breed in their current conditions. Probly give them a month, if no signs then i'll start to lower the PH and softness of the water slowly and see what happens. These fish have also become very sociable and have lost any shy-ness they had. As soon as i go to the tank they come front and center and play around. They are a really fun little fish and so far are not holding up to the reputation i have consistantly read about. We'll see what time entails!
post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very beautiful fish! Man your making me tempted to get some...
post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats a very attractive fish/ interesting also a beautiful tank , I would try to breed those.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode