Dwarf Puffers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dwarf Puffers

First off let me start out this post with this...Dwarf Puffers are @holes! Mod edit that if it's too much lol, but I'm serious! I got my puffers a couple of weeks ago and have been fighting with them ever since. They eat snails no problem, blood worms we have a problem....The problem isn't that they don't like them, or won't eat them, it's that they run each other off trying to keep the all to themselves lol. I grab a worm or 2 and use my tongs to hold it, one will come up and just as he is about to bite, another will dart from across the tank and run it off. Blood worm falls to the substrate to rot and pollute the tank...

Well today that changed! I only tossed a few snails in the tank yesterday, and didn't give them many worms. This morning when the lights came on, they were all lined up at the front of the tank waiting..Not paying attention, I went about working on my CO2 regulator, then I noticed I had an audience watching my every move. If i walked past the tank they would swim and follow me. All 6 of them.

6!!! I had thought 1 died after the first day for 2 weeks I have only been able to count 5 at a time never 6. Today the hungry lil buggers all came out See why I call them @holes? lol Anyhow I just wanted to share my time with the lil fellows and tell anyone who is thinking of starting a Dwarf Puffer tank...DO IT! These guys are soooo amusing all this aggression in that tiny little body. The unique way they hunt, the way I can sit there for 10 minutes looking right at one and never see it till it wants to be seen, and most of all the way they interact with me now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry about such a long post about something so simple, but I am just extremely happy with my lil @holes

Sake

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

What size is your tank?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a 20 long heavily planted.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

Great read haha. Thanks
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Going to add a few pics
Hello!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feeding 019.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	232889

Hunting

Name:	Feeding 010.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	232897
Notice all the empty snail shells

Name:	Feeding 036.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	232905

Name:	Feeding 049.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	232913

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

I love dwarf puffers, they look so cool lol
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, I have a vacant ebi... maybe I'll look into the dwarf puffers. I like fish with character.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Planted Member

Very cool. Im actually in the process of cycling a 20 tall for a dwarf puffer. I planned on possibly getting two but ive heard theyre too aggressive. BUT you have 6 soooo...

What other tank mates can you keep with a dwarf puffer ?

The Fraternity of Dirt #130
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Very cool. Im actually in the process of cycling a 20 tall for a dwarf puffer. I planned on possibly getting two but ive heard theyre too aggressive. BUT you have 6 soooo...

What other tank mates can you keep with a dwarf puffer ?
Yeah I've got 2 ten gallons and extra filters just in case they get too crazy >.>

I've heard Ottos are safe with them, also Kuhli loaches, I've also heard of them being in a community tank. Personally I have cherry shrimp in there and they leave them alone. Not sure how long that will go on for though lol. I think the only fish I'd really try with them would be them would be the Ottos.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Yeah I've got 2 ten gallons and extra filters just in case they get too crazy >.>

I've heard Ottos are safe with them, also Kuhli loaches, I've also heard of them being in a community tank. Personally I have cherry shrimp in there and they leave them alone. Not sure how long that will go on for though lol. I think the only fish I'd really try with them would be them would be the Ottos.
ok thanks. I was halfway considering about 6 blue neons (im a blue neon freak, have 30+ of them in my dirted 75g) I figured where they school together and are pretty quick that the puffer might not bother them.

The Fraternity of Dirt #130
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

I love these little guys, such personality! Here is the first time my puffer had live food. He already had the kill down to a science!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to MrRiboflavin
I had a 10 gallon with 3 of them, 6 otos and about a dozen cherry shrimp in it for nearly 3 years before I had to take the tank down and give them to a friend when I moved.

I never had that issue that you are having, but I had all female puffers. Mine never paid any attention to the shrimp or the otos, the shrimp would even take food from my puffers sometimes.

The way I would feed bloodworms is I bought this cone with holes in it that had a suction cup on it and it stuck to the side of the tank. The puffers, and my cherry shrimp, would all come to the top and feed from it during feeding time.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I had one female with a CAE for several years. Great combination. They were in a 15 gal. I tried to keep 3 puffers but 2 would always pair up and killed the 3rd. I finally got a pair for a couple of years but then her chosen mate died and I did not want to go through the pain of finding her another compatible partner. She therefore lived alone with the CAE. They never had an issue with each other. The CAE came from my 46 gal tank because he was aggressive and attacked other fish. The dwarf puffer was too small to latch onto and had a nasty bite so they respected each other and there also was no competition for food. I can see otos working well. I don't know about shrimp. I guess that depends on the puffer and how well fed he is. I would not add a puffer to a shrimp tank unless I wanted him for population control. I was upset when she finally passed away. One of my favorite little fishes. Now I want one again.
Mr.Ribo, RCS don't live that long (1 1/2 years tops) if you had them for 3 years, they were breeding. Which makes me think your puffers have been snacking on them the entire time. 12 RCS would amount to about 1000 in a 3 year period if I let mine breed. I usually keep males in one tank, females in another unless I want them to breed at which time I add a couple of females to the males tank and once berried they go into a rearing tank. RCS birth control.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah the cherry shrimp I tossed in were culls, and I only tossed them in there as a clean up crew. Puffers are messy lil suckers, never eat the whole snail just enough to kill it and rot in the tank lol. I have been surprised at how well they are working out together with have 6 in such a small tank, but the tank I heavily planted, plus they are rather small right now I may have problems later on, hope not but time will tell
Quote:
One of my favorite little fishes. Now I want one again.
Do it! You know you won't regret it!

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I picked up a trio for my tank a week ago and they've quickly become my favorite fish of all.
So cool and so small! Perfect nano fish. This is my first tank in a very long time (couple decades) and these weren't around back then so was unfamiliar with them.

I can't really get them to hit frozen bloodworms (at least that I can see) so I grabbed some live blackworms last night and they truly went to town!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode