Advice on 20 gal community - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Advice on 20 gal community

I've done enough research to be pretty certain this stocking will be ok, but I'm new to this so I'm nervous and I really wanted to get a direct answer from you guys because of your experience!

The tank will be heavily planted/filtered/water tested etc etc before adding any fish. I've listed what I want to add in the order I plan to add them. This is because I know Otos are very fragile and I want to make sure the tank is as stable as possible before adding them, and Bettas can be territorial so I want him to get the message he's in a community tank right off the bat.

20 gallon:
3ish mystery snails
3 or 4ish shrimp (ghost? red cherry?)
6ish white clouds
3 otos
1 male betta

The betta is the only fish I currently have, he is happy alone in his little 3 gal but keeps bugging me about an upgrade . If I were to take anything out of this plan it would be the white clouds...I don't want them to annoy my betta and I don't know if this set up simply contains too many fish with the little school of them.

Before you comment, yes, I know about the 1in/1gal rule as a super basic guideline. Also I know things depend a lot of personality of fish (esp the betta). Just let me know what you think, and especially if you have any experience with this mix! Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh I should mention it's a 20 gal long. Sub-question: I know White Clouds like a bit cooler temperatures....has anyone experienced this posing a serious problem when housing them with bettas? If yes, suggestions for other tiny tiny schooling fish? I don't know how I feel about Tetras....
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A betta will snack on shrimp so you may want to leave them out.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzac View Post
A betta will snack on shrimp so you may want to leave them out.
I've read that too... Though I'm willing to take a small chance since I don't think I would be too upset if the shrimp were used as appetizers . Do you know of any species that would be less likely to be lunch for a betta? Bigger maybe? Thanks for responding
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ghost shrimp can hold their own. I wouldn't mix the betta with other fish either. I'd hesitate especially if he's had his own tank already.

20g long can house a nice school of fish. White clouds, shrimp, and snails will work in a cool tank.

Bettas like warm tanks.

Multiple planted tanks 1.75g to 55g.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Betta will be fine with the White clouds (I've kept bettas and fish such as White clouds, cpd's, guppies, etc... with bettas before and experienced only minor fin nipping, and that was with Guppies), They're fast fish so the betta wont be able to get a hold of them easily. He will however make short work of the Shrimp, the best bet for shrimp that might be able to stand a chance would be the ghosts, a lot of hiding places would also help with that.

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Planted Member

I have a divided 20 long with three Bettas. The other inhabitants are male Endlers, Hasbrosus and Pygmy Cories, male Dwarf Panda Guppies, CPO and PFR. The dividers have .25" holes so the little guys have the whole tank.

The Bettas do chase but the fish are too quick for them to catch. The CPO stand up to the Bettas. Amanos are bigger shrimp.

I don't think you can be successful without lots of plants and hides...and knowing your Betta's personality. Since he's already in the three-gallon, at least you have a place to put him if it doesn't work out.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Betta will be fine with the White clouds (I've kept bettas and fish such as White clouds, cpd's, guppies, etc... with bettas before and experienced only minor fin nipping, and that was with Guppies), They're fast fish so the betta wont be able to get a hold of them easily. He will however make short work of the Shrimp, the best bet for shrimp that might be able to stand a chance would be the ghosts, a lot of hiding places would also help with that.
Good to hear you had luck with white clouds and Bettas. I know they prefer slightly different temps but I've also read the WCs can "get over it" and survive at 78ish. This is going to be a super long term project and I'm only on the planning stages! As plant the tank I will definitely take into consideration providing hiding places, and maybe I can post pics along the way for more advice!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusselltheShihTzu View Post
I have a divided 20 long with three Bettas. The other inhabitants are male Endlers, Hasbrosus and Pygmy Cories, male Dwarf Panda Guppies, CPO and PFR. The dividers have .25" holes so the little guys have the whole tank.

The Bettas do chase but the fish are too quick for them to catch. The CPO stand up to the Bettas. Amanos are bigger shrimp.

I don't think you can be successful without lots of plants and hides...and knowing your Betta's personality. Since he's already in the three-gallon, at least you have a place to put him if it doesn't work out.
Oh my gosh that is genius with the dividers and little holes!!! (Does my excitement give away my newbie status? Haha) Do you have a pic of this tank? I would love love to see it! Since you have Endlers, do you think for any reason they would be better with a Betta than white clouds? Or was it just personal preference?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

The Endlers are personal preference and may soon become an addiction. :-)

Here are some shots of the tank. The end sections are 6 x 12 x 12 and the center is 17 x 12 x 12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	232665  

Attached Images

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank, I love the colourations of your betta

FISHY
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Planted Member

Thank you. Have the best of both worlds: A community tank and three Bettas all in one aquarium. :-)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Here are some shots of the tank. The end sections are 6 x 12 x 12 and the center is 17 x 12 x 12.

"The Endlers are personal preference and may soon become an addiction. :-)"

Lol

Beautiful tank and love the betta.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No issues whatsoever keeping multiple bettas over the years with a variety of community fish (no more than one betta in any given tank of course), including white clouds. The ghost shrimp can most likely hold their own, but cherry shrimp are a very likely snack unless your betta is exceptionally passive. I've also kept ammanos with bettas without issue.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Thank you for the pictures! I agree, your tank and Betta are beautiful.

LOL on the addiction! I completely understand! I bought my Betta (Captain Ron ) just for a little companionship and (yes I admit) decoration....then accidentally fell in love with him <3 <3 <3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode