Dwarf Puffers - tell me all about it! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dwarf Puffers - tell me all about it!

I heard they are great in a species tank, how about a single one in a community tank? Are they happy flying solo like a pleco?

If he/she is the only one in there, will it still be a big bully to everybody else? I think the Golden Barbs will take care of themselves, but I also have false Julli Corys did want to get them beat up or tormented.

Thinking about a Bolivian Ram also - are they happiest in a pair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The dwarf puffers are pretty aggressive, and their beaks are sharp. Had a buddy stick one in a tank with a frog, and it bit off all the frogs limbs. They can do some damage, so if you do get one keep an eye on it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

Does better in brackish
Will attack anything and everything
Bullies but fun to watch!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

some are brackish - some are fresh.

all are extremely aggressive
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnphil View Post
Does better in brackish
Will attack anything and everything
Bullies but fun to watch!
Dwarf puffers are full freshwater fish they should absolutely not be kept in a brackish tank. They may survive for some time but it is an unhealthy condition for them to live in. Perhaps you are thinking of green spotted puffers or figure 8's.

To the OP, I would not keep dwarf puffers with other fish. They are like little mini helicopters with sharp beaks that will tear your other fish's fins up. You may hear mixed opinions on this. The reason is puffers can have very unique personalities. Some may be more peaceful than others but you always run the chance that one will decide to have a tasty fish snack one day. Even your golden barbs can be a target.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Agree with axelrod. They can also be picky eaters requiring snails and live worms
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Must be feed snails or other crustaceans with hard shells to keep there upper and lower beaks in check.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

saw a guy tranq one and clip its teeth/beak with nail clippers, haha, no thanks.....
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Maybe I can talk the wife into a second (smaller) display tank the main tank generates PLENTY of snails for food (I'm harvesting at least 30 pond snails out every 2 weeks)

Won't try to put one in the main tank, but still thinking about the Bolivian Ram pair.

Thanks All!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Things might be looking up! Showed my wife a video of a dwarf puffer hunting snails and she thinks they are cute and hilarious. I told her we could keep one in a smallish all-in-one tank, she's already talking about replacing a shelving unit in the living room with something nice that can hold a tank on top of it! (evolve or spec v or something similar)

Love it when a plan comes together!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Must be feed snails or other crustaceans with hard shells to keep there upper and lower beaks in check.
indian dwarf puffers aka pea puffer are full freshwater and do not need their beaks trimmed!!!! but will not do well in a community tank
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
Dwarf puffers are full freshwater fish they should absolutely not be kept in a brackish tank. They may survive for some time but it is an unhealthy condition for them to live in. Perhaps you are thinking of green spotted puffers or figure 8's.

To the OP, I would not keep dwarf puffers with other fish. They are like little mini helicopters with sharp beaks that will tear your other fish's fins up. You may hear mixed opinions on this. The reason is puffers can have very unique personalities. Some may be more peaceful than others but you always run the chance that one will decide to have a tasty fish snack one day. Even your golden barbs can be a target.
^ this. I think someone I talked to once tried to toss one in with an African Cichlid and it still killed the Cichlid. They ARE NOT brackish. They are freshwater. Most puffers are brackish or salt, but these guys are 100% fresh. One nice thing about them though is, snails are generally free. Go to your local LFS/Petsmart/Petco and ask them for pest snails/pond snails/malaysian trumpet snails. Most of them are a nuisance to those stores and will gladly give them to you for free.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok, so I'm thinking one of these in a 5g nano maybe 2 in a 9g, heavily planted (of course!)

These little guys like to play in the substrate, but eco-complete has to be way too rough for them. You think they would look better against black blasting sand or white pool filter sand?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dwarf puffers do not play in the substrate. They spend most of their time cruising the tank and looking over every rock, tree and plant. Very cool fish. They are one of many freshwater puffer species. Here is a site dedicated to all puffers with lots of info.http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

dwarf puffers can be vicious sometimes.... but if you keep them in groups they will behave better. I have 4 in a 5 gallon brackish tank for more than a year ... their team mates are bumblebee gobies and they stay on the substrate while the puffers get the upper part. They will attack only small snails and their beads do not grow. I keep them well fed on bryne shrimp and black worns.... mine will not even eat frozen food.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode