well tonight i had the hard lesson of diy co2 failure.i have been using the diy co2 2 liter yeast and sugar for about 4 months with some sucess.tonight when i came home i noticed my tank was not clear i figured another green
water outbreak.i feed my fish 10 neon tetras 6 german blue rams and 10 ghost shrimp.i noticed 2 of my german blue rams had color missing from there sides.i figured maybe my one chinese algae sucker got to them at night.then i noticed a film on top of the water and specks of some sort.then i look to the side of my tank and i see my 2 liter almost squeezed in half from suction.i was running my co2 line into my zoo med sweeper power filter to chop up the bubbles and i quess that is what caused the nasty alcohol soup to be sucked into my tank.i vaccumed the bottom of my tank alot of white yeast looking stuff
performed a 40% water change.changed cleaned out my fluval and power head.will do another 40%water change tommorow.oh all my fish where breathinh hard to probably gill damage.well damn any sugestions for this one.iam going to be setting up my pressurized co2 within the month i have most of my equipment.for now no co2 injection.
Also, it seems to me I've read about another thing that can help with DIY sugar/yeast soup getting into the tank: adding a second 2 liter bottle in line with just water in it. Bubble the CO2 into the bottom of the bottle letting it filter up through the water and then run an airline from top of the bottle to the tank, essentially a bubbler filter to catch junk.
I never did this myself when I ran DIY CO2 bottles, but I kept to about 3 or 4 inches of solution in a two liter bottle.