The Planted Tank Forum banner

need help on first betta breeding

801 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Starfire & Mihkya 
#1 ·
I recently have encountered an issue in my first attempt to breed my bettas. Tank set up: 10 gallon bare bottom with java moss, 1/3 of a styrafoam cup for my males bubble nest, 4" of water, heater kept at 78, and a cover for humidity. I was given a beautiful halfmoon male betta for my birthday in January. Hes always blown big bubble nests for me :). A friend gave me a female crowntail last month and I started conditioning both for breeding then. I conditioned my male in the breeding tank and my female in a seperate 10 gallon. She was very round and was ready to breed so I put her in a glass jar inside of the breeding tank for the male to see. All went well, they were both very interested and within 3 hours he had built a lovely bubble nest. I released the female when she had veetical stripes and had her head down in a submissive position. All went fine after that, chasing ect, after about 2 hours they embraced and did for another 2 hours eggs were produces and he put them into the nest. Female was removed and male stayed in. It has been 3 days and the eggs haven't hatched yet and the male is acting uninterested in the nest. Occasionallu he will go and built on it andrepair it but hasnt been acting how ive read male bettas are supposed to.what went wrong and what is happening???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.