Tiny rasbora with CPD? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tiny rasbora with CPD?

I have 7 Boraras urophthalmoides that I have had for a few months and just added 10 chili rasbora a couple weeks ago. Sadly, even though they were alive when they arrived, when I followed the directions of the seller on how to acclimate them, 4 didn't make it when I added them to the tank. But the remaining 6 are really doing good. I tried to order some more chili from the seller but they are not replying to email. I don't know of any where to get them near me and after this one time doing mail order fish - not sure I want to go that route again. It was my first time getting fish in the mail and they did arrive ok - I feel bad about the fish and it was pretty expensive for only 6 fish to live.

Anyway...

The local quality fish specialty store is having a sale and I'm going tomorrow to get a few more pygmy cory to add to the 4 in the tank.

Since I can't get more chili .....

How would CPD work with the mixed rasboras? There is also one male Endler in the tank. It pretty heavily planted with mostly stem plants, has some Red Root floaters and some water lettuce on top and has more than twice the filtration it needs for the tank size. The parameters are good for CPD - I don't know about how they would do with rasbora and if the rasbora would make the CPD feel safe enough to come out and not hide.

I have to admit I have read about CPD in the past and would need to read up on them more tonight to know about how many to get. There are lots of hiding spots, some driftwood etc. The original Rasboras are pretty friendly and comfortable. They come to the front of the tank when I come in the room. The Chili rasbora are looking good now too and no longer hide. They are out and swimming in the open, at the top and middle level.

I find that I really like the tiny fish. It is a 15 gallon tank but most of my plants are smaller leaves and the scale of the tiny fish works well with the plants.

I currently feed frozen (thawed!) brine shrimp and bloodworms a few times a week, NLS small fish formula, and the cory get bottom feeder tablets and shrimp pellets and occasionally everyone gets some NLS betta pellets. When I am at the fish store I am going to look for frozen Daphnia and baby brine shrimp. Would all that work for CPD?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Planted Member

I keep horses with pygmys and CPDs and haven't had any problems. They are all very active and healthy. I do feed done frozen foods but mostly stock to my nls daily. I also keep cherries in the tank too
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've kept CPD's with Boraras Brigittae & Boraras Maculatus with no problems whatsoever.
The tank was reasonably well planted, but it still took a few months for the CPD's lose their shyness.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Planted Shrimp Nut

if you have a good dither fish (I had neons), some overhead plants/floaters (Turn the lights off for the first day the CPDs are in there.) I also kept a tangled mess of plants, like a big messy corner top to bottom with plants. For the first 2 weeks. They need to feel safe of they will stress themselves to death. They will hang out there, and when comfortable they will venture out into other areas. Then after a 2 week period, I straightened out all the plants and they were fine. Try finding some daphia! They love love LOVE it! I have it freeze dried and they will give me eggs when I give them this. They are shy depending on whether they are wild caught or tank bred. Mine came in, looking like on death's door. I drip acclimated them, kept the light off for a full day. I have a healthy colony of them, 16 I believe in a 29 gallon. I just had my first baby so, 17? I would get at least 8+, make sure to get more females than males. They are much happier in the larger numbers. I have even trained mine to swim into the net. No joke. They are curious!

Last edited by Oceangirl; 05-10-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

This sounds like CPD might work, if the store has them!

I do have a lot of plants, many going up to the top. If it was my outdoor garden I would say it is in the Cottage Garden style. LOL and I have RRF and water lettuce. It's low tech, so have medium lighting. It's LED, so there are bright and dark spots as it filters through the plants and floaters.

In a 15, though, would I want very many? In reading about them, sounds like a dominant male will kill the others?

I did see a 15 on YouTube with chilis, CPD, darn I can't think of the proper name... But common name pork chop rasbora, and a blue dwarf gourami. And another couple small rasbora too I think. I would not put a gourami in, but the rest looked happy together.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Planted Shrimp Nut

CPDS are very peaceful. They don't battle physically, they just dance off. No really injuries. I have 4 or so males and the rest of mine are females! They will wave fins but never kill another male. The more you have the better they will feel.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok! Thanks so much -- I am leaving shortly for the fish store.

The Seller did contact me - so might get some more chili after all. Will see what the local store has in stock. I know they don't have Chili. But they might have the CPD.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Geesh, they were sold out of everything I was looking for - except a betta. I did find a new short fin - or it's a female with an attitude. They didn't even have nerite snails. I found some frozen baby brine shrimp and frozen daphnia though - so I think the tiny fish will like that. So wasn't a complete waste of time.

I didn't realize their sale had been going on for a while.... I should have gone over a couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode