At a loss for more fish, ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

At a loss for more fish, ideas?

Hey folks, you can check out my tank in my signature for reference to my question. I currently have 6 guppies, 7 zebra danios, 4 swordtails, 5 otos and 5 kuhli loaches in my 40 breeder and the tank is thriving. All are happy and look very healthy and I want to make an addition to my current stock.

I'm not sure whether to get a medium sized center piece fish or a small school of some tetras or something. With my set up, what are your guys' opinions on enhancing my current set up in terms of fauna?

Thanks for any input.

40 Breeder|36" FugeRay|Aquaclear 110
Oto|Guppy|Danio|Kuhli|Swordtail

My 40B Work In Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Planted Member

Re: At a loss for more fish, ideas?

Deff need a center piece fish. Angelfish, gouramis or rams perhaps?

8g Fluval 1M CT Betta
125g 5 Blood parrots, 1 Green Severum, 8 Dension Barbs, 10 Yoyo Loaches, 1 RTS
75g Angelfish, 3 EBGR, 4 Siames Alage Eaters, 12 Harlequin Rasboars, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Swordtail
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankruptjojo View Post
Deff need a center piece fish. Angelfish, gouramis or rams perhaps?
I would love an Angel but do you think I'd have any aggression issues? Also, can gouramis be kept alone without a companion?

My 40B Work In Progress
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would a 40B be enough room for an angel as well? Curious of any other centerpiece fish you guys would recommend.

My 40B Work In Progress
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you should definately look into dwarf cichlids....rams, apistos, dicrossus etc

angels like tall tanks.

Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A larger school of Rasbora could work well. Rainbows could add some flair, especially some nice skull creeks...

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

As someone recently bitten by the rainbowfish bug, I agree they could add flare! Love the skull creek photos I just found online, hadn't heard of them. There's so many rainbow varieties to selection from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
A larger school of Rasbora could work well. Rainbows could add some flair, especially some nice skull creeks...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
you should definately look into dwarf cichlids....rams, apistos, dicrossus etc

angels like tall tanks.
Ok you guys are swaying me toward some GBR's but I want to make sure my tank is suitable for them before I get them.

I have a chunk of driftwood with the gravel dug out underneath and my kuhlis have claimed it as their home. With the lack of any other "cave like" places in my tank, will the Rams still feel comfortable and safe claiming a patch of grass or something similar?

I have a feeling they would claim the entire area underneath my larger root type piece of driftwood which my swords won't like very much :O

My 40B Work In Progress
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnleon View Post
As someone recently bitten by the rainbowfish bug, I agree they could add flare! Love the skull creek photos I just found online, hadn't heard of them. There's so many rainbow varieties to selection from.
I wasn't fully impressed with the photos of them I found but I'm on my phone so I'll dig a bit more when I get home.

Rams and rainbows seem to get about the same size (3" roughly) and I was hoping for something a bit larger, any other ideas?

My 40B Work In Progress
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

I recently added two male GBR to my 90 gallon planted community tank. The dominant male bullied the other male almost to death. Luckily I was able to separate them and the injured ram recovered. The aggressive ram also bullied my white cloud minnows and some adult feeder guppies I put him with but left my two large angel fish alone. They didn't do well with high co2 either... they showed signs of stress at <30 PPM. This is just my experience with the GBR. I think white cloud minnows look very natural in a planted tank as well as angels.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Algae Grower

One of my favorite books is "What Fish? A buyer's guide to tropical fish" because it's loaded with photos and general information on tank level, behavior, water parameters, etc. You could spend hours looking for just the right look and check its potential compatibility. There are larger rainbows that grow upwards of 4-6"!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
One of my favorite books is "What Fish? A buyer's guide to tropical fish" because it's loaded with photos and general information on tank level, behavior, water parameters, etc. You could spend hours looking for just the right look and check its potential compatibility. There are larger rainbows that grow upwards of 4-6"!
I'll look into that book, sounds great! Would you happen to know the species of rainbow that get that large or is it luck of the draw that one might get a decent size?

Also, I just moved from Fort Myers, FL are you in that area?////

My 40B Work In Progress
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

A catch just occurred to me... the larger the rainbow, the larger the recommended tank size/open swimming area, but quickly checked and the breeder's 36" dimension is a minimum for some larger bows. Rainbows are active swimmers. A few larger types that come to mind are boeseman (4"), red (5-6"), banded (4.7"), and I'm sure there's plenty more. Typically the males achieve those sizes, but you want some females because their presence encourages the males to show their colors. A couple of sites I've visited to learn more are http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/ and http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/index.php Note the latter is for serious keepers, but there is a newbie section.

Small world! Fort Myers is on my mind because there's a big fish event being planned for this June and I'm thinking about attending, but I reside on the east coast near Fort Lauderdale. My college roommate lives in Fort Collins and I was out that way visiting a few years ago, it's a very nice place!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
A catch just occurred to me... the larger the rainbow, the larger the recommended tank size/open swimming area, but quickly checked and the breeder's 36" dimension is a minimum for some larger bows. Rainbows are active swimmers. A few larger types that come to mind are boeseman (4"), red (5-6"), banded (4.7"), and I'm sure there's plenty more. Typically the males achieve those sizes, but you want some females because their presence encourages the males to show their colors. A couple of sites I've visited to learn more are http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/ and http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/index.php Note the latter is for serious keepers, but there is a newbie section.

Small world! Fort Myers is on my mind because there's a big fish event being planned for this June and I'm thinking about attending, but I reside on the east coast near Fort Lauderdale. My college roommate lives in Fort Collins and I was out that way visiting a few years ago, it's a very nice place!
Yea I also did more reading after you made the suggestion and saw a lot of recommendations for at least a 6 ft long tank for rainbows so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a pair of GBR's.

Small world indeed! I went to FAU for some time in Boca and lived in Lauderdale for a few months at one point. I'm loving Colorado although I do miss the beach on occasion :P

My 40B Work In Progress
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good choice! GBR's are cool, My personal Favorite are Electric Blue rams, as well as Bolivian's

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode