My first Oscar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My first Oscar

In setting up a riparium later this week and have been doing lots of reading. The tank is 55g and will house one tiger Oscar and one map turtle. How well will these two mix? All my reading says they will do great together. I've had my map turtle for long enough to know she is not aggressive at all.

The tank will be well planted and provide plenty of hiding spots as well as the water level being higher than a normal riparium, about 90% full. I'm worried about the Oscar jumping out, I've heard of that happening. How can I prevent that without adding a lid, as pants will be coming out the top of the tank.

Any and all tips or stories based on experience will be fantastic!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

It will vary, but that oscar will get large fast. I cant see it hurting the turtle, but it could harass it 24/7. It's a 50/50 with oscars on attitude when it hits it's 6" maturity level like JD's.

As long as the tank water is good it shouldnt jump out. Usually when fish jump out its poor water conditions or stress, or harassment chasing the fish out, not so much cause it just feels like it. I dont see the turtle chasing him

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Re: My first Oscar

Oh good! My water quality is always perfect so no worries there. I'll have the turtle in first for about a week so hopefully the Oscar will understand this isn't his tank! If all else fails I have no problem moving the turtle to one of my many tanks.

On another note, what should I feed my juvi Oscar? Eventually it will be home bred feeder guppies or something of the sort. But as a juvi I can imagine it needs a very nutrient rich diet to support healthy growth.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think you should just give it frozen foods like blood worms, or spira brine, and normal brine, and NLS pellets. I like to mix it up like we would for dinner for ourselves.

I'd stay away from feeders, live bait fish can bring out more aggression in the oscar.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

As an adult blood worms won't cut it though would they? He's going to need something larger. Possibly frozen shrimp or prawn?

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I surprised no one has given a reality check yet.

1) Turtles and fish are usually not a good mix, yes there are exceptions but in general turtles usually win, even on bigger fish.

2) Turtles create huge amount of waste, plants will help but not be able to keep up with the waste produced especially since you are not filling it up all the way

3) A healthy oscar will outgrow a 55 gallon fairly quickly, the 12" depth is the problem, a 75 gallon would be better.

4) Feed your oscar a good pellet like NLS from day 1 and you will get much better results, Bloodworms and brine shrimp have very little nutritional value and fish can get hooked on them.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will be getting a 125g when he outgrows the tank. And it surprised the hell out of me but TONS of people put turtles with Oscars with a great success rate. I was with you until I did some more research.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbybtf View Post
As an adult blood worms won't cut it though would they? He's going to need something larger. Possibly frozen shrimp or prawn?

A cube to itself will be fine. Just dont let their begging for more fool you. I do pellets for breakfast, frozen for dinner, no lunch, and fast on fridays, water changes, and tank maintenance on saturdays or sundays.

The guy above is right about long term, the 55 wont cut it but you should be ok for a year, but then again that can vary too fish by fish. They are fast growers, but not all, and most will slow down after the 6" mark. It'll be a couple years before it reaches 12" IMO if it reaches 12" .

Oscars are also very susceptible to HITH, with that said to lower the chances on it to possibly happen i wouldnt run carbon. Just focus on biological, and mechanical filtration aspects. Oscars could also care less about plants, prob rip them up if anything. If iw ere to go with plants i'd go with hardy plants you can suction cup to the glass or tie down good, but then that may not even work.

Map turtles vary in size based on sex. Its the females that get big up to 11', i think males max around 6-7". They like to bask, so you'd have to setup the 55 right for a upper level for it to go to, it's not going to want to stay submerged 24/7

Hikari bloodworms have added vitamins, they are plentiful for nutritional value o.O here's my "reality check" lol

Ingredients: Blood worms, water, beta carotene, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), riboflavin, thiamine mono-nitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, pantothenic acid, inositol, niacin.

Same goes for their shrimp :-/ It's healthy to feed your fish a mixed diet, then giving it pellets that mainly focus on color enhancement. Which also i do believe has less protein then a cube of bloodworms.

Hikari spria brine is packed with vitamin C as well. Anything hikari is of decent value really

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh absolutely, it's going to be a riparium, nice platform to bask on with the appropriate light. I read Oscars prefer planted tanks with nice places to hide in.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I will be getting a 125g when he outgrows the tank. And it surprised the hell out of me but TONS of people put turtles with Oscars with a great success rate. I was with you until I did some more research.

It may work, sure. A ton of people buy 5 oscars from walmart then put them in a 10 gallon tank. Doesn't make it a good idea. If you are looking for people to blow smoke up your backside you will find them all over the place.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't risk an oscars life. They can hold their own but if the turtle is big she will chase him as a snack leading him to jump out. If you go with live bait avoid comets and give minnows. They have more nutrition and don't pollute as much. Water changes! 50%!!! Turtle waste + Oscar waste = hole in the head. Other then that have fun with your experiment. I kept a fancy goldfish with a red ear slider while the RES was a baby. After it got bigger went after the goldfish. Btw oscars are awesome!

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post

Hikari bloodworms have added vitamins, they are plentiful for nutritional value o.O here's my "reality check" lol

Ingredients: Blood worms, water, beta carotene, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), riboflavin, thiamine mono-nitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, pantothenic acid, inositol, niacin.

Same goes for their shrimp :-/ It's healthy to feed your fish a mixed diet, then giving it pellets that mainly focus on color enhancement. Which also i do believe has less protein then a cube of bloodworms.

Hikari spria brine is packed with vitamin C as well. Anything hikari is of decent value really
What's your point? No matter what hikari adds to their bloodworms and brine shrimp, a pellet (even a mid quality pellet like tetra color bits) will blow them out of the water as far as nutritional value goes.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh absolutely, it's going to be a riparium, nice platform to bask on with the appropriate light. I read Oscars prefer planted tanks with nice places to hide in.

If you are doing plants make sure you have a deep substrate and the plants well planted maybe even suction cupped someone. Oscar love to rearrange things and toss things around. Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing a journal!!!!

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The turtle is a baby, 2 inches max. And I'm currently breeding minnows they will be the same size and grow together. I appreciate the info, trying to get every side of it before I give it a go.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The turtle is a baby, 2 inches max. And I'm currently breeding minnows they will be the same size and grow together. I appreciate the info, trying to get every side of it before I give it a go.

It may work for a while but eventually the turtle will win. Petco is having their $1/gallon sale why not buy a 40b for the turtle and a 55 for the oscar?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode