My first Oscar - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Re: My first Oscar

I have a 55g, 30g reef set up, and a 10g coming from California this Thursday so the options are open if this goes badly.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
What's your point? No matter what hikari adds to their bloodworms and brine shrimp, a pellet (even a mid quality pellet like tetra color bits) will blow them out of the water as far as nutritional value goes.
If you put label to label there isnt much of a difference except NLS adds garlic. Bloodworms have more protein, but NLS has a couple % more in fat's. I use both, i wouldnt say blow out of the water or close to. It's not the best diet to stick with one primary food each day, you need to mix it up.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd go with a 40B on both. They are shorter but wider which makes more room for turning and swimming.

Give it a go! Worse that could happen is that you observe the turtle chasing the Oscar around and have to remove him.

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i had 2 oscars at one time. got them when they were a couple inches big. the 2 lived in a 55 gallon tank. they were almost 12 inches long with in 6 months and ended up doing 50% water changes ever couple days due to feeding live food and pellet. dirty fish they were. was not my idea. im not a fan of big fish like that. kids dad took care of them till they out grew the tank with in 6 months. they didnt get agressive but man i couldnt take the smell of the tank any longer. and its not easy finding a home for such large fish
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As far as food goes. Walk in to the pet store buy crickets one week, fish the next, some pork chops thinly diced before cooking, and try some greens. Gotta have veggies every now and then. Oscar will eat whatever lands in the water as well as your turtle. You can give them raw meat before you cook it with some blanched veggies. My Oscar loved chicken gizzards.

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You may get away with it for a while but we had Map and Yellow-bellied turtles in a 800 gallon setup with arrowanas, giant gouramis and some large cichlids and the map turtle caused so much damage to a 20" male arrowana he ended up dying from the damage. When the turtles are small no big deal but as larger tankmates, they rule their environment. At any size though they make a serious mess. Messy eaters and messy wasters. Might be more than a small system can handle.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

You make a good point. Just more reason to upgrade my tanks later I have no qualms against splitting the two up if need be.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

800g tank. How does one go about filtering such a tank. I don't think I could own something that size. I'd be tempted to jump in lol or I'd definatly catch my son swimming after the fishes lol

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All the benefits of a fish tank, and you can scuba dive in it!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
If you put label to label there isnt much of a difference except NLS adds garlic. Bloodworms have more protein, but NLS has a couple % more in fat's. I use both, i wouldnt say blow out of the water or close to. It's not the best diet to stick with one primary food each day, you need to mix it up.
Surely you jest.
Is huge difference between ingredient's in NLS cichlid formula,and blood worm's which are nearly 80 % moisture and are being offered less and less nowday's by most fish keeper's due to poor nutritional value,and often sewage rich water where they are collected.
Ingredient's for NLS cichlid formula are... South Anartic Krill,Herring,Squid, Mussel Protein's,Algae meal,Kelp,Spirulina,Vegetable matter, includes spinach,red and green cabbage,peas,broccoli,red pepper,zuchinni,tomato,kiwi,apricot,pear,mango,app le,papaya,peach,and afore mentioned garlic.
Is hand's down,,better food for nearly all fishes from herbivores to Large cichlid's such as the Oscar.
Have kept large south american cichlid's for many year's, and NLS is my staple food for these fish along with freeze dried cricket's (Fluker's).Meal worm's,chopped earthworm's, Tilapia fillet.
Would under no circumstances offer the cichlid's store bought feeder fish which could very well be sickly considering often horrid condition's they are kept in at fish store.Only takes one sick feeder fish to infect your cichlid once the sickly feeder's are consumed and many fish become fixated on the live feeder's and refuse more nutritonal food's. IME
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbybtf View Post
You make a good point. Just more reason to upgrade my tanks later I have no qualms against splitting the two up if need be.

It's an enjoyable interaction while they're smaller. I've watched the turtles rip the food out of the mouth of an arrowana and a huge Jaguar cichlid. Talk about balls! Yeah the smartest thing is to realize when it's just not working anymore. Have fun.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Surely you jest.
Is huge difference between ingredient's in NLS cichlid formula,and blood worm's which are nearly 80 % moisture and are being offered less and less nowday's by most fish keeper's due to poor nutritional value,and often sewage rich water where they are collected.
Ingredient's for NLS cichlid formula are... South Anartic Krill,Herring,Squid, Mussel Protein's,Algae meal,Kelp,Spirulina,Vegetable matter, includes spinach,red and green cabbage,peas,broccoli,red pepper,zuchinni,tomato,kiwi,apricot,pear,mango,app le,papaya,peach,and afore mentioned garlic.
Is hand's down,,better food for nearly all fishes from herbivores to Large cichlid's such as the Oscar.
Have kept large south american cichlid's for many year's, and NLS is my staple food for these fish along with freeze dried cricket's (Fluker's).Meal worm's,chopped earthworm's, Tilapia fillet.
Of course there's moisture content, its a frozen cube! lol It isnt collected from sewage water, maybe the SF Bay brand, but hikari bio-pure is a great quality product. I've been keeping south americans for a long time, sell my spawns to local LFS, never have i heard people not feeding them frozen foods simply due to lack of nutrition, but for lack of growth, and color enhancing rates for resale. NLS is a great product which is why i use both, but you get all that in micro amounts, your talking sprinkles of each additive in a pellet, and as a primary food source i wouldnt use it just for that, and like i said its healthier to mix up their diets.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
800g tank. How does one go about filtering such a tank. I don't think I could own something that size. I'd be tempted to jump in lol or I'd definatly catch my son swimming after the fishes lol

It's an acrylic tank with three built in mini sumps. The water stayed crystal clear though even with the enormous mess from a huge 26" albino channel cat, a 24" shovel-nosed cat and a bunch of other giants. I say "stayed" because it's actually sitting empty right now. We're changing the theme. Considering doing a huge reef tank or a Hap and peacock display tank.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You are obviously just trolling now and making stuff up or maybe just don't know any better and need to be educated. Either way I'm done.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Of course there's moisture content, its a frozen cube! lol It isnt collected from sewage water, maybe the SF Bay brand, but hikari bio-pure is a great quality product. I've been keeping south americans for a long time, sell my spawns to local LFS, never have i heard people not feeding them frozen foods simply due to lack of nutrition, but for lack of growth, and color enhancing rates for resale. NLS is a great product which is why i use both, but you get all that in micro amounts, your talking sprinkles of each additive in a pellet, and as a primary food source i wouldnt use it just for that, and like i said its healthier to mix up their diets.

Blood worm's are poor nutrition,and mostly moisture by content.They can't compare to NLS,Ocean nutrition,Omega,hikari cichlid pellet's (Bio-gold).
Bee using NLs as stated as staple food, and I cannot complain bout growth rates,overall health of the fishes .
Opinion's vary .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode