The Planted Tank Forum banner

Angels fighting

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Tetranerd 
#1 · (Edited)
I assume, because they're fighting, that they're both females and having some extreme territorial disputes. One of them has been laying eggs about monthly, but the other has been eating them. They're in a 90 gal tank with lots of cover, but have been locking lips and picking at each other pretty continuously for the past 3 days. They've lived with each other without these issues since I got them 6 months ago. Any suggestions to decrease the tension that don't involve removing one to another tank (which I don't have)?

#5 ·
just because they lay eggs does not mean they are a pair. some time you can get females that act as a male/female pair. eggs will turn white with a day normally only way to know for sure it to see the egg tubes down. if they look alike its 2 females if they are diff then male female pair. you could still have 2 females and that would be why they fight so much. my pair of angels never fight with each other and only time they get aggressive is when they lay eggs and chase off other fish

#6 ·
You could pull the eggs and raise them artificially to see if you have a pair. If they all turn white in a day or so, then you might have a infertile male or two females. Fighting is pretty normal so long as they don't get to violent. I have had pairs fight till the death.

Good luck. Have fun. You can find methods for raising all over the internet.

FLWR

#10 ·
if they are already aggressive to other fish all your going to do is end up with dead angels if you put more in. they will be more aggressive to their own kind if you do have a pair. i think you best bet is set up a different tank for them. if you do have a pair they are going to chase all the other fish away from the spawning site to keep their eggs/fry safe

#11 ·
They aren't overly nasty to others, just chasing them away from eggs. They're just being nasty to each other. Not sure how putting them in a smaller tank with just them will diffuse the aggression toward each other. Certainly can't afford a bigger tank (floors won't support it anyway! LOL!)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#12 ·
Oh cichlids they are CRAZY fish. Do you have photos of them I could help sex them you might have a male and female OR you might have a 2 females and one just wants a family bad. A female can and will lay eggs with no mate. 2 females can even pair up too. Like I said cichlids are crazy fish. You could have a male and female pair where one mate turns on the family. The male or female will start eating the eggs due to stress most of the time. But the other mate still wants to raise the eggs so there will be WAR.

Yours are fighting for sure. If a females has eggs she is going to protect them with all her power they are great moms. This is very stressful for all fish in the tank. You should remove all the eggs or take the fish that is eating the eggs out.

What color are the eggs? If they are white they are not fertile. If they are a yellowish kind of clear color then they are fertilized.

#13 ·
move just one to a diff tank the one being more agressive. chances are you have 2 females. mine are never agressive to each other even the pair when they lay eggs. the most they do is chase others away. one thing you might try is redoing the tank they are in. some times changing things around will break up territory and make them not fight. its worth a shot

#14 ·
No eggs right now, they've been gone (eaten by the bigger of the two) for a week now. Eggs lasted a couple days until they got eaten. Half were white, half were opaque. I know the white ones were infertile. I'm thinking I have 2 females. No clear pictures, especially with vents out, and not likely to get one now unless I can get them to hold still long enough. We'll see what I find when I get home.

#19 ·
No, actually the first one is the one I've watched lay the eggs and has a well defined vent. The bottom one I haven't seen doing anything - might just not be old enough yet, dunno. Some aggression toward each other this morning, but they did eat a couple pieces of food. Some big bottom lips but no holes or other damage. Thanks for your help, everyone!

#20 ·
Today they actually came out together & ate. First time in over 2 weeks. There's a guarded truce with one or the other getting "Shirty" with the other occasionally. Maybe this next time they'll make good eggs!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.