Ich sighting, think I caught it early, need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ich sighting, think I caught it early, need advice

So today I came home from work and spotted two white spots on the dorsal fin of my Flame Gourami. Please see my signature for my fish and tank specs. I added the gourami and the tetras about a week ago, and the Ram two days ago. I drop acclimated all of them, but no quarantine. My water parameters as of yesterday were near perfect, 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates.

Prior to spotting the spots, I never noticed any of the other tell-tale symptoms of Ich. Because it seems that I have caught it early, I immediately went out and got a small quarantine tank for the Gourami, hoping the Ich hasn't dropped and multiplied.

So right now I've got the gourami in the quarantine, and the rest in the main tank. I bought a small bottle of Malachite, should I use it on the quarantine tank? Right now I'm playing the situation as thought I MAY have isolated it, and if I lose the Gourami I lose it. Based on my fish, can I turn up my heat in the main tank to combat this assuming this is still in the main tank? If that's not enough, what else should I do? Also, I really would like to avoid salt in the main tank because I don't want to hurt my plants, so is just heat better than nothing?

Update: Gourami not looking good, probably going to lose it. Main tank is priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heat will stop reproduction and speed up their life cycle. I don't know how else to cure ich other than heat up the tank and add salt as it's all I've ever done if I get ich in my tank. It's never failed me before.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

Ich is actually pretty easy to treat. It is a parasite that is in every tank, and occurs when fish are stressed. It will look like grains of salt on your fish. I wouldn't recommend using a quarantine tank now, it's too late to do that. Better off treating everyone in a tank that has already gone through nitrite cycle. Do a small water change, vacuum the gravel with your siphon. Remove any carbon in your filter. Slowly raise your tank temp to 84-86 degrees, rapid temp change will only stress them more. The higher temp speeds the parasites reproductive cycle. Check your local fish store for Quickcure. Follow dosage, your water will have a temporary blue tint. After 3days do another small water change. You should see signs of improvement. Keep temp up and treat for at least 7-10 days. Then slowly lower temp down. Clean, add carbon to help remove meds.

Work In Progress
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with most of what's been said. Raising the temperature to 84 usually begins killing off the ich, 86 is even better and an almost gauranteed treatment. Siphon off your gravel daily to remove the dormant ich. Keep the heat up for at least two weeks after the last sign of ich. No point in quarantining the gourami, you have to treat the whole tank. At these temperatures, you won't really need medication or salt, but using those is up to you. Note that if you do medicate, you should run an aristone 24/7.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Re: Ich sighting, think I caught it early, need advice

The ich being in all tanks is just a theory yet to be proved. I, myself, don't believe it because I've stressed a large number of fish on many accounts, but only a few got ich and it's usually the ones being newly introduced from another tank with lower water quality.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks. Would really like to avoid meds and salt at all possible. Should I just put the Gourami back in the main tank?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Re: Ich sighting, think I caught it early, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanincident View Post
Ok, thanks. Would really like to avoid meds and salt at all possible. Should I just put the Gourami back in the main tank?
No use in further stressing the fish. Keep it in the QT tank. Gradually raise temp in both tanks. As temp rises, oxygen decreases. Add an airstone or powerhead for increased oxygenation in both tanks to prevent more stress. If you add a powerhead, make sure you point it towards to surface to get water agitation, this gives you oxygenation.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How many days at the higher temp? Keep them separate for the duration? FYI I do have aeration available from when i was cycling, but when I turned it on in the main tank its so strong that the tetras are freaking out and can barely swim the current. I'm afraid I am adding to much stress. I did completely turn off my co2 in the main tank. I also covered the QT tank with a dish towel to keep the gourami more calm. I have heat and a small filter running in the QT
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, since the QT tank has no BB in it (I am just doing daily water changes to keep the ammo down) the water parameters will quickly become different from the main tank. This might be an obvious answer, but when I'm ready to put the Gourami back in the main, should I drop acclimate him again?

Right now I am super torn as to whether I should keep him separate or put him back in the main. Mostly because I feel like there is the added maintenance and stress on the fish because the QT tank isn't cycled. I work during normal business hours, so its tough to keep frequent tabs on the water params and temperature then. Is it alright if I let the ammo go to a maximum of 0.5 ppm?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwabe5 View Post
It is a parasite that is in every tank, and occurs when fish are stressed.
This couldn't be further from the truth. It is an organism and it isn't ubiquitous. At some point, it had to be introduced into the tank via a fish or a contaminated ornament or a contaminated net, etc. We just had a looooong thread about this last month so I don't want to rehash all of this again.

And mistahoo - it isn't a theory. It's a simple protozoa that causes disease in the fish. It doesn't just spring up out of the woodworks. The protozoa is infectious and requires innoculation....just like any other organism. It's life cycle is less than 1-month, so I don't know who started this garbage about ich being in everyone's tank. Anyone with any remote information on biology would know that it is impossible for this ORGANSIM with a FINITE life cycle to exist in everyone's tank.

Pearling.....it's way overrated.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

Lighten up Option. If I am wrong about ich parasite being in everyone's tank then I apologize. My intent is simply to help another member get their fish healthy again.

Ammonia at any level isn't good for fish. I hope you keep us posted and that they are better soon

Work In Progress
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Gourami isn't swimming so well in the QT tank :/ but I'm not going to give up on him. Did a 100% water change at lunch today.

Since yesterday I have slowly worked the temp in the main tank from 79 to 84 where it is right now. I will continue to up it to 86 tonight. The Gold Ram and all 12 of the Tetras look to be in good shape from the temp increase. They are behaving normally, if not a little bit more active like they're on caffeine (probably because of the increase in metabolism?). But overall very content. No white spots yet. No blatant signs of flashing or scraping.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanincident View Post
How many days at the higher temp? Keep them separate for the duration? FYI I do have aeration available from when i was cycling, but when I turned it on in the main tank its so strong that the tetras are freaking out and can barely swim the current. I'm afraid I am adding to much stress. I did completely turn off my co2 in the main tank. I also covered the QT tank with a dish towel to keep the gourami more calm. I have heat and a small filter running in the QT
Keep the temp between 86-88 for 2 weeks then lower the temperature by a couple degrees every couple hours the day after the two week period until you're back to the original temp.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwabe5 View Post
Lighten up Option. If I am wrong about ich parasite being in everyone's tank then I apologize. My intent is simply to help another member get their fish healthy again.
Don't mind me and my use of caps. Please don't take it personally. Just can't believe how prevalent the myths about ich are.

Pearling.....it's way overrated.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, everyone hug it out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode