The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sex my ram w/ pic

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  briandmiles 
#1 ·
#5 ·
man, its boot camp in this kats tank!.. 2 bites of each. .man she could probably take a half a cube!!.. dont be stingy!

chris

#8 ·
Don't feel bad... I don't think you are starving her. Once a day feeding should be plenty. Some Blue Rams seem to have problems with parasites. I lost Rams even though they ate well. On the other hand, if there is quite a competition for food in a tank Rams often come out short. Doesn't sound like it in your case though.

#10 ·
I think she's still a juvenile. I got her about a two months ago. She was the first fish to end up at the surface when my CO2 has gotten too high, but otherwise, she is very active. She's always curious what I'm up to and follows my hand around the tank when I arrange the plants. Whenever I find myself trying to find her in the tank, she usually ends up being right in front of my face staring at me. When I was taking pictures of my plants last night, she tried to get into every photo. The picture in this thread was easy to get with even my little Canon powershot.

#11 ·
The Blue Rams are really nice fish. I had two about a few weeks ago, a male and female. Well, he harrassed her so much she died and then he died a few days later.--I'll blame that on me though. I highly doubt it was my water quality, as I have a Discus and Neons in there. Since the Blue's have been gone I've added the Bolivian Rams. Still a very colorful fish and much hardier.

They aren't really pigs, because the Tetra's (neon & von rio) always get to the food first, so whatever gets to them they'll eat. Other than everything stated, you'll enjoy your fish, and if she's your only Blue Ram, if your tank is big enough, I'd add a couple more. Just my .02

#12 ·
I could be crazy, but to me that looks like a male German Blue, not a female bolivian. Blue's are a bit sparkly and tend to be smaller than Bolivians.

Females tend to have pinkish bellies and more subdued colors which yours does not. Also, on males the black part of the dorsal fins is longer than the rest, which in the picture it looks like is the case with yours, IMHO.

I just got a couple rams too. I love them, and hope they breed, although probably won't have much luck since my water is really hard.

#13 ·
Also, on males the black part of the dorsal fins is longer than the rest, which in the picture it looks like is the case with yours
Funny, I was thinking the opposite.

I'd say female german blue. My male's rear dorsal fin is long and even sort of pointed.

#15 ·
Its a young female German Blue Ram no doubt. Notice the belly is already showing pink. You dont see that in male rams. When I first saw it I just figured it was a baby. It does look slighty underfed but its definately young. Its definately 105% female German Blue Ram. The dorsal fins are short and the belly is pink. Its a girl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.