Algae eating fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Algae eating fish

I’m looking for good algae eating fish for a 75 gallon planted tank. The tank is high teck and I do have some algae on my plants and the glass I can not keep clean. My KH is 7 and I keep my ph at 7.2 in this tank. I currently have 12 Black fin Tetras and 14 Serpae Tetras. I have lots snails in the tank and I don’t want anything that’s going to eat them all.

Anyone have any suggestion for me to start my search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have ~20 Otocinculus (sp?) in my 100g planted. Never seen any algae... but could be from proper care... doubt it since I skip dosings regularly

I would stick with those and maybe some Siamese Algae Eaters (I also have 5 of those).

Cliff
110g - Vivarium (Dart Frogs)
180g - Reef
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I have read a few times they like softer water. But yes 3 or 4 Otocinculus would be nice.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailed
I think I have read a few times they like softer water. But yes 3 or 4 Otocinculus would be nice.
ya, my water is extremely soft. not sure they really care that much though.

3 to 4 in a 75g won't make a dent in it. I think at least 1 per 10g's is a must, and 1 per 5g is what I would recommend. They look really cool when schooling throughout the tank in large #'s.

Cliff
110g - Vivarium (Dart Frogs)
180g - Reef
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
3 to 4 in a 75g won't make a dent in it. I think at least 1 per 10g's is a must, and 1 per 5g is what I would recommend. They look really cool when schooling throughout the tank in large #'s.

Not sure about that... if you have softer algaes...
I put one otto into a 20 gal that was absolutly covered in soft algae and he cleaned the thing spotless in just a couple days. (yes, he has friends now) If you have harder algae, I would go with a few bristle nosed plecs. They stay small, but are the only thing that seems to be making a dent in my hard spot algae.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

few questions about Bristle-nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF CAF
If you have harder algae, I would go with a few bristle nosed plecs. They stay small, but are the only thing that seems to be making a dent in my hard spot algae.
I have a few questions to ask:
How small do Bristle-noses stay?
If the harder algae is on plants (i.e. the leaves of a Nana) would the Bristle-nose Plecostomus inadvertently or advertently eat the leaves?
How are Bristle-nose with about Java Ferns and Crypts?
What types of Bristle-noses do you recommend that will not eat plants and stay small?

Aquarium Profile
Tank size:
10 gallons

Lighting:
Indirect sunlight

Equipment:
Tetratec PF150 with internal heater

Substrate:
100% Flourite (2-inches)

Parameters:
Temp 72-74F

Plants:
Nanas (Anubias barteri)
Java Ferns (Microsorum pteropus)

Inhabitants:
(1) Royal Black Emperor Tetra
(2) Blue Tetra
(2) Silvertip Tetra
(1) Head and Tail Light Tetra
(1) Black Neon Tetra
(2) Neon Jumbo Tetra
(4) Otocinclus Cats
(4) African Dwarf Frogs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

SAE are OK when they're young and small, but as they age they tend to like fish food more than algae. On the upside, they're lovely fish, make nice little schools, and are very curious and interesting to watch. They can get pretty big though, unlike ottos.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have a few SAE’s in one of my tanks. I have 12 of them in my 300 gallon tank that are about 5” long. I was thinking about getting 5-9 for my 75 gallon till they get about 4” and then moving them to my 300.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

The biggest bristle nose I have seen has been about 3 1/2 inches. The one I have is pretty tiny and has been really nice to my plants. Him and my ottos only seem to be interested in algae, but I think the ottos have inadvertantly chewed a few holes in one of my plants that had hard algae, but after getting the algae spots, have left it alone to recover.

However, I have the most amazing hairy algae growing in one part of the tank and I havn't found anything that will eat it up yet. Quite honestly, if I weren't afraid it would cover the whole tank, I would like it... it is soooo green and flowing, and I immagine that my baby guppies are very happy to have it as a home.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
BN Plecos are great - (they are Ancistrus sp.) I've never had a problem with them eating plants and people in my aquarium club are breeding them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
flag fish. mine work great on hair and thread algae

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion
20 Long all gone now

75 Gallon Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for The Trout Tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode