wildcaught cichlids banned? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

wildcaught cichlids banned?

This is from another forum, but didnt see it pop up here yet, figured i'd pass the message along.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Fogelhund on Mar 20, 2013

New wildlife import regulations would severely regulate the import and commerce in “non-native wildlife taxa”. As feared by some in the pet industry, new federal legislation that could halt the importation of many species of livestock and pets, including fish and aquatic organisms bred or collected for the aquarium trade has been introduced in Washington.

H.R. 996: Invasive Fish and Wildlife Prevention Act was introduced in the US House of Representatives by Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY) on March 6, 2013. H.R. 996 is a re-write of H.R. 669 dating back to 2008.

H.R. 996 seeks to set up an “accepted” (white) list of common domesticated pets and livestock (dogs, cats, goldfish, farm animals), and an “unaccepted” (black) list. By default the black list would cover everything not included on the “accepted” list.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/...oposed-for-us/

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr996

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't see it making it past committee. It is very over reaching and tosses in a new tax......err, " user fee". It would also have a signicicant negative impact on commerce.

I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that at times certain species need to be more tightly regulated, just ask those in south Florida about pythons and boa's. Also throughout the south and creeping north are the snakeheads, which devastate natural fisheries. Piranha are also a concern and considered illegal to have in some warm water states. I don't think taking a proactive approach to avoiding more disasters like those just mentioned is a bad thing, but lets not destroy the tropical fish/pet industry in the process.

Here in MN one of our biggest invasive species is an aquatic plant, the Eurasian Water Milfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum).
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I totally agree with you. I just hope it dosnt effect cichlids or species that are popular in this forum if it does :-/

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

ya... i agree with the above post.. This wont pass.

There have been issues of people keeping large cats in captivity and we all know the media that has surrounded them after as many accidents that have happened. Yet, no laws passed?

I dont think this will even make it to a vote. It looks very poorly written and should be up to states to regulate. not the feds

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
I totally agree with you. I just hope it dosnt effect cichlids or species that are popular in this forum if it does :-/
I do think there has to be some tradeoff, if we are really going into the topic. The main reason i refuse to go into salt water, is that well over 50% of what you find in stores are still being pulled from the wild. We have the capability to breed most of these fish in captivity and should rightfully do so.

msawdey
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

"Whitelist" systems have always seemed idiotic to me. There are so many taxa of fish there's no way they could even approach enumerating those safe and unsafe for the environment. Additionally the climate of the US is varies significantly. An invasive species in Texas would have no business in Michigan. Laws like this can't account for national variance. Another reason lawmakers should have to take a few science courses.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Planted Member

Whilst not living in the US, I can see the angst this might cause enthusiasts.

We have had black lists over here for decades. Usually too late. However, consider the Glass catfish (newly renamed Kryptopterus vitreus BTW). Never proven to be bred in captivity, so it must be imported. Has that any bearing on the viability of released specimens?

I miss my weather loaches.

Some species are being collected to near extinction. So it can be not having one in your tank versus not having one on the planet.

Tricky.

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
Whilst not living in the US, I can see the angst this might cause enthusiasts.

We have had black lists over here for decades. Usually too late. However, consider the Glass catfish (newly renamed Kryptopterus vitreus BTW). Never proven to be bred in captivity, so it must be imported. Has that any bearing on the viability of released specimens?

I miss my weather loaches.

Some species are being collected to near extinction. So it can be not having one in your tank versus not having one on the planet.

Tricky.

It's not just wildcaughts. It's any imported non-native fish. Basically everything in the petstore.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There was in fact a previous thread about H.R. 996, with a subject line that better captured the breadth and seriousness of this issue. It was here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=2887794

And now it's gone. Appears to have been deleted by a mod, and if that's the case, it's quite disappointing.

There's always the possibility something like this can manage to pass, if there isn't sufficient grassroots opposition. So people NEED to know about it.

There's always the possibility of debate on things like this turning ugly too. Now I haven't a clue what might have happened in that other thread to get it deleted, as last time I checked, everything was civil. But if it turned ugly, then by deleting the thread, rather than cleaning or locking it, the moderation also contributed to keeping folks from knowing about H.R. 996 at all.

And in doing so, served the interests of proponents of this bill. Who could get this thread deleted as well, if deletion is now the typical moderator response.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Children Boogie

When it comes down to it, it'll be a state by state basis. Say Florida bans snake heads (they have already) but Michigan would be ok with it since snake heads would die out in Michigan's winter.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
When it comes down to it, it'll be a state by state basis. Say Florida bans snake heads (they have already) but Michigan would be ok with it since snake heads would die out in Michigan's winter.
Agreed. This is best left to the States to decide what is permissible and what should be regulated.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
I do think there has to be some tradeoff, if we are really going into the topic. The main reason i refuse to go into salt water, is that well over 50% of what you find in stores are still being pulled from the wild. We have the capability to breed most of these fish in captivity and should rightfully do so.
While I understand what you are saying, and dont disagree...its WAY over 50% wild caught live stock offered for sale, and we dont have the capabilities of breeding "most". Not even close. A very very very small percentage of sw aquarium fish have been breed in captivity, and an even smaller percent are commercially viable.

Most sw fish have very complex life stages, that are nothing like most freshwater fish. Its a very different ball game all together. For MOST species. I think there have been many advances in recent years, but we are still a long ways off.

That being said, I have to agree with the others. I dont really see this passing. Something like this pops up every couple of years, and then fades away. While I agree that anything is possible, and it or something like it could certainly pass, doesnt seem very likely to me.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest28 View Post
While I understand what you are saying, and dont disagree...its WAY over 50% wild caught live stock offered for sale, and we dont have the capabilities of breeding "most". Not even close. A very very very small percentage of sw aquarium fish have been breed in captivity, and an even smaller percent are commercially viable.

Most sw fish have very complex life stages, that are nothing like most freshwater fish. Its a very different ball game all together. For MOST species. I think there have been many advances in recent years, but we are still a long ways off.

That being said, I have to agree with the others. I dont really see this passing. Something like this pops up every couple of years, and then fades away. While I agree that anything is possible, and it or something like it could certainly pass, doesnt seem very likely to me.
ya.. i was just ball parking it.... I love my fish, but i hate that we are still taking animals out of the wild for our own enjoyment. Whether it be a guppy or a freakin lion

msawdey
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

So is there any update on this bill?

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
this isnt the first time something like this has been tried i think back about 10 yrs or so ago a bill like that came up and it died pretty fast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode