Algea eating fish for a 20 gallon community tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

ottos, great for smaller tanks, believe me, you wont be dissapointed, also nerites eat a TON of algea, as for ramshorn, i dont believe they do

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where can i get nerites or otos?

how many otos for a 20 gallon based on my stocking list

**i now have only 5 black neon tetra one past away this morning, see my other post in the fish section for details it would really help me figure out why they have been dying**
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

i would wait on the ottos and nerites until after you find out the reason why the fish died

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, I am trying to figure out why
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
as for ramshorn, i dont believe they do
mine sure do. they go up and down my glass and up and down my plants constantly!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
mine sure do. they go up and down my glass and up and down my plants constantly!
Ive only got one small blue ramshorn snail and he is always hiding on me
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Rubberlip pleco. But you might have to supplement it with algae wafers or cucumber every few days, cause they usually eat all the algae and then die of starvation.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Rubberlip pleco. But you might have to supplement it with algae wafers or cucumber every few days, cause they usually eat all the algae and then die of starvation.
I like all of the suggestions everyone has given but where is the easiest place to get ahold of otos, or certain types or shrimp or snails, or pleco. I have a petco, petsmart, and pet supplies near me but no other fish store the closest for me is about an hour away that isnt a petco or something of that nature
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Petsmart usually has rubberlips, SAEs, BNs, and otos. Petco Usually has SAEs, BNs, otos, and sometimes nerites and amano shrimp. It sorta depends on what the store manager prefers to order. If you're on good terms with them you can usually ask them to order in a group of fish or snails (unless the certain species you want is like way exotic).

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Petsmart usually has rubberlips, SAEs, BNs, and otos. Petco Usually has SAEs, BNs, otos, and sometimes nerites and amano shrimp. It sorta depends on what the store manager prefers to order. If you're on good terms with them you can usually ask them to order in a group of fish or snails (unless the certain species you want is like way exotic).

What should i check for any of them or should i lean towards otos? And if so how many of the given choice whether it be snail or fish
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your best bet would be to get otos since they are the best community fish. The others might be semi-aggressive toward other fish or inverts. You have a great source not to far away in Penn. Rachel aka Msjinkzd. She has a site that shows her current stocklist and is great to work with. She has some regular otos and cocama (zebra otos). I have both in my tank and they are great fish and recommend her and them to any plant keeper.

Nerites are a good idea, but can over populate if your tank is unbalanced (overfeeding, etc.) Some people like it because they can sell them. Others don't and find them a hassle, just depends on the keeper.

Since you changed your substrate, you are most likely experiencing another cycling of the tank. I would recommend not buying anything at the moment until the cycle has stopped. Hope I helped out a little, Good Luck!

The worst defeat in the world, is when you give up.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Algea eating fish for a 20 gallon community tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAddicted View Post
Your best bet would be to get otos since they are the best community fish. The others might be semi-aggressive toward other fish or inverts. You have a great source not to far away in Penn. Rachel aka Msjinkzd. She has a site that shows her current stocklist and is great to work with. She has some regular otos and cocama (zebra otos). I have both in my tank and they are great fish and recommend her and them to any plant keeper.

Nerites are a good idea, but can over populate if your tank is unbalanced (overfeeding, etc.) Some people like it because they can sell them. Others don't and find them a hassle, just depends on the keeper.

Since you changed your substrate, you are most likely experiencing another cycling of the tank. I would recommend not buying anything at the moment until the cycle has stopped. Hope I helped out a little, Good Luck!
How will I know when the cycle stops if my diatoms never subside?

Also, how to get in contact with Rachel about Otos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nerite snails are awesome algae eaters and have a great reputation for it on TPT.

SAE while great at eating pretty much any kind of algae, get aggressive when older and not usually suitable for smaller tanks.

Otos are great algae eaters once established, but can be hard to acclimate at first (which is why they are suggested for mature setups only). They love buddies also, and I think 3 would be fine in a 20 gallon setup.

Smaller plecos (bristlenose, bushynose, medusa, rubberlip, bulldog, etc.) usually reach about 4 to 5 inches and great at eating algae at first, but can become lazy over time. Depends on their individual personalities. They can also go after broad-leafed plants.

With any option, once the algae is gone you will need to supplement their diet with algae pellets or some kind of veggie. Good luck!

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by Ashnic05; 03-16-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: .
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAddicted View Post

they would be hard to accidentally breed.. everything i've read and experienced (got a couple that are comming up on 4 years old) is that they will lay eggs like crazy in freshwater, but they need brackish water for gestation of the eggs.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Algea eating fish for a 20 gallon community tank

Who has nerite snails on the forum? Anyone who is reputable and has good ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode