What is the pinnacle of freshwater fishkeeping? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Adult red tail cats.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Gold fish.

ahahaha

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...082&highlight=

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Discus, Arrowana, Stingrays, even some small schooling fish are incredibly difficult to care for

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
The asian arowana. No doubt, hands down.
Owning one of those is in a huge planted tank or indoor pond is my dream. If only they were legal to own in the U.S.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

F1 tank raised empire gudgeons...

im working on it.
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wild altums.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Sponsor

Knowing a few discus breeders, I would say discus. As I'm sure you know many are sensitive a variety of variables, all have told me that even with all things constant some will still flip for no reason. So for experience and skill, I would go with the discus.

And don't get me wrong, I love Aros. But I know many (or not ...depending on who's reading this ) that have kept Asain Aros with no issues. Then again, maybe their lack of experience is made up for in husbandry and dedication as they have 5 grand invested in to a fish. (Note, I do not support owning these beautiful fish illegally!)
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Re: What is the pinnacle of freshwater fishkeeping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post

Knowing a few discus breeders, I would say discus. As I'm sure you know many are sensitive a variety of variables, all have told me that even with all things constant some will still flip for no reason. So for experience and skill, I would go with the discus.

And don't get me wrong, I love Aros. But I know many (or not ...depending on who's reading this ) that have kept Asain Aros with no issues. Then again, maybe their lack of experience is made up for in husbandry and dedication as they have 5 grand invested in to a fish. (Note, I do not support owning these beautiful fish illegally!)
ADG is such an awesome place. I haven't seen that tank in the picture, but their huge sw and Amazon setup are sweetest! Also the mini ADA tank they've got going that's crazy expensive.

5g? Must be the lower quality aros!

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post

5g? Must be the lower quality aros!

Haha, 2-3 inchers from Toronto.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Discus or Altum Angelfish in a well planted and scaped tank. They are just so majestic and striking.

(Winner of the first IAPLC)
I'd have to agree, your photo makes a great case.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Re: What is the pinnacle of freshwater fishkeeping?

Quote:
Haha, 2-3 inchers from Toronto.
Makes sense now. Location and size are huge factors.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Getting a rare/delicate cichlid pair to spawn and raise their kids in a tank.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Algae Grower

A week ago i would have said Discus, and then I saw one of these at my LFS. They are asking $1200.00
Attached Images

Last edited by Tetrameck; 03-14-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well it is a really hard question!!!

It depends on the parameters on which you put on the word "pinnacle".

IF you are talking about difficult in keeping alive, then Altum Angels, Tropheus moorii- Bemba orange is one of my favorite color forms- (Tanganyikan Cichlids that are vegetarians who are notorious for a large part of your group just up and dieing for no reason!!!) Or as others have said any of the endangered wild fish, of whatever size, to get them breeding to keep them from going extinct!!!

OR if you mean a very beautiful fish who makes AWESOME displays: again Altum Angels, Discus, In a very large tank a breeding group of Tanganyikan Frontosa! They get pretty big at 16"+ and 5lbs.+, and the males get this huge golf ball size hump above their eyes, also they have BEAUTIFUL long flowing trailers on their fins that to me make them look like GIANT Glowing Blue and Black barred Butterflies!!! Also big groups of the small fish like Cardinals, Espi Rasboras, etc. make very stunning displays too! Some of the best comments I have ever gotten on any of my Planted Aquariums was when I had 25+ Cardinals in my first 55g!!! My Sisters Husband and his Brothers came to my Son's birthday party, granted they aren't aquarium keepers, and they couldn't get over the colors of the small FRESHWATER Fish! 1 of them had been Scuba diving in Fiji and said the Cards looked as good or better than any fish he saw there! Lastly a big group of Rainbows are hard to beat too! Their colors, shape, and activity level will keep you watching for hours! A 150g+ Display tank with Boesemani, Parkinsoni's, Turquoise, and Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi "Yellow Rainbow" fish was the first real planted tank I ever saw, and it got me hooked on going planted and tearing down my African Cichlid tanks!

Lastly I think of the AWESOME Planted tanks themselves! Weather it be a Nature style or a Dutch style, a SHOW STOPPING, Heart Pounding display can take your breath away!!! Granted I have only seen a true few in person, but I have seen many pics of tanks, both in book and magazines or here on TPT, I truly aspire to be able to set one up one day when/IF my skill level gets to that point!!!

Drew
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Discus in a planted tank - the more plants and the higher tech...the more impressive. The picture above posted by Lowe is a good example. Discus, even wild ones, are not that difficult these days if you keep them in bare bottom tanks. It's easy to feed, easy to clean, and easy to establish stable water parameters. So for me, only discus in a well planted tank would be the 'pinnacle'. Having to balance between good parameters for the plants while feeding and providing good conditions for discus to thrive is the ultimate juggling act in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode