Markos Mustard Gas Halfmoon Bettas - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

I love the one in the middle of the last two pictures (I think its the same fish)

And @wayne I could be wrong but I BELIEVE red is a more dominant color than the mustard gas variation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Dwops
I find it so funny that many of them turned out red instead of yellow
so do i. genetically, its not possible. but nobody told the fish.
R (red) is dominant to NR (nonred - NR1 is yellow, NR2 is orange). since the parents were both yellow, they had to be NR/NR. so they dont have an R to pass to the offspring, so all the offspring should be NR/NR. but somehow there is R in their gene pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC13 View Post
I love the one in the middle of the last two pictures (I think its the same fish)

And @wayne I could be wrong but I BELIEVE red is a more dominant color than the mustard gas variation.
it is.
this is true. but both parents were mustard gas, so they couldnt have had red to pass on to the offspring... no clue how it happened. neither does anyone ive spoken to about it.

got a new charger for my camera, so its back in action. 3 new pics.
my amazing redblue rosetail. this guy has his tail folded and overlapping even in full flare - massive amounts of finnage on him:

and an OHM red blue. less finnage, but the lines are crisper and the colors perfect:

and a cute mustard gas HM:
post #123 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i really like the one in the bottom right corner. is it possible the red might change later on?
i have what was a really pretty opal (thats what im calling her any way) colored female you can see though her if she is in front of light and has a purple color when reflecting on the body, the her fins started getting tipped in blue and now have some red to them. think she is a marble? ill get a pic in a day or so if it would help. she is just a petsmart betta so nothing fancy
post #124 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

Do you sell your bettas on this forum? Lovely bettas by the way. Love the updates and photos! More more more!
post #125 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i really like the one in the bottom right corner. is it possible the red might change later on?
i have what was a really pretty opal (thats what im calling her any way) colored female you can see though her if she is in front of light and has a purple color when reflecting on the body, the her fins started getting tipped in blue and now have some red to them. think she is a marble? ill get a pic in a day or so if it would help. she is just a petsmart betta so nothing fancy
no. red bettas cannot turn yellow. the red or yellow could fade to clear (in that layer) from marbling if the fish is a marble (these arent, to my knowledge), but not change between red and yellow.
opal? probably a pale bodied pastel.
may be a marble, but doesnt have to be for that. bettas colors do change a little as they age. marbling is much more drastic and rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha View Post
Do you sell your bettas on this forum? Lovely bettas by the way. Love the updates and photos! More more more!
yes. ill post a FS thread when i start selling. but some of the fish will be sold on aquabid, and if i choose to join the IBC, ill send some to shows and auctions. but not to worry when it comes to availability. im spawning the male to female #2 in a few weeks (hopefully).
i would give more pics, but the bettas are VERY active at this stage, never sitting still, and it makes getting a good pic incredibly difficult.
post #126 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

thanks marko for the info. the female i have is a white bodie but a purple sheen to her in the light. i have not clue what color she would be. i thought she was white till i got her home and saw her under my lights lol.
post #127 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

something like this, but without the blue marbling? http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/20...aac5b44344.jpg
post #128 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

I hope you've got one for me! i'm wanting one soooo bad, now that I've seen them I want one more looking great! hope to see that FS thread soon!

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
post #129 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

I also can not wait! just saying, i would like a Mustard Gas but if your demand is too high, I am open to taking some of the other colorations.
post #130 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
I hope you've got one for me! i'm wanting one soooo bad, now that I've seen them I want one more looking great! hope to see that FS thread soon!
few more weeks. growth is slowing down, since i really should jar a bunch of em, but no time for one more week. then they will be jarred and then growth should be explosive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinder View Post
I also can not wait! just saying, i would like a Mustard Gas but if your demand is too high, I am open to taking some of the other colorations.
itll be first come (or contact, really) first serve - except for the ones i put up on aquabid, obviously; those go to the highest bidder.
and i mentioned before that ill be spawning the same male to another female - hopefully in 2 weeks.
post #131 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
so do i. genetically, its not possible. but nobody told the fish.
R (red) is dominant to NR (nonred - NR1 is yellow, NR2 is orange). since the parents were both yellow, they had to be NR/NR. so they dont have an R to pass to the offspring, so all the offspring should be NR/NR. but somehow there is R in their gene pool.

it is.
this is true. but both parents were mustard gas, so they couldnt have had red to pass on to the offspring... no clue how it happened. neither does anyone ive spoken to about it.

got a new charger for my camera, so its back in action. 3 new pics.
my amazing redblue rosetail. this guy has his tail folded and overlapping even in full flare - massive amounts of finnage on him:

and an OHM red blue. less finnage, but the lines are crisper and the colors perfect:

and a cute mustard gas HM:
mommy fish has some explaining to do, lol
post #132 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

marko yes like that but with out the blue on the body and as the fins go the blue is on the bottom and middle clear next to the body. what is that color called marko
post #133 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thats a white pastel. the pastel is from a bit of blue iridescence, which gives the powdery appearance; and explains the bluish tint.
post #134 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

cool thanks so much
post #135 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not an expert in genetics by any measure but sometimes individual colors can be controlled by several genes. Being as you don't know the lineage of the parents several generations back, its possible that there was enough of the wrong colored genes in the mix!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode