Hi all! This post is my first and will obviously show that I'm a bit of a newbie at this hobby, but I need some suggestions.
I went to my LFS a couple of weeks ago looking for any type of algae eater that was suitable for my 10 gallon freshwater tank. I made it clear to the sales representative that I had 10 gallons, and I wanted something that would continue to eat algae throughout its lifetime and not become aggressive.
She sold me two Chinese Algae eaters.
I don't know why I trusted her, but anyways there's no need to tell me why these Chinese Algae Eaters were NOT a suitable fit for my tank.
SO, the main point is, what should I do with these algae eaters? I've since added a female bristlenose pleco because I was having an algae bloom and the Chinese Algae eaters were completely ignoring the bloom.
I know my biomass is too much as it is, and I desperately need to get the algae eaters out of my tank. What should I do? I don't want to kill them........
You can take them back to the pet store as previously suggested, take them to a different pet store (although call first to see if they will accept them), make an ad on Craigslist or find a friend with a suitable tank to take them. Be aware that your bristlenose pleco will get anywhere from 4 to 5", which is a bit large for a 10 gallon. I would suggest a nerite snail or two, or a couple otocinclus for the algae problem.
“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien