Help me pick fish for my 20g long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Help me pick fish for my 20g long

I have a 17 month old son who I want to be entertained by the tank in our living room. Right now it is stocked with red rili shrimp which my wife complains is boring. Before we had our son I had several fresh water community tanks but now I have just one. The current water parameters are ph 6.8, temp 75, Gh 5. I have flourite for gravel. If you want more parameters just ask.

I'm looking for active fish. I did have cardinal tetras in there before but they really weren't that active. Tank does have many plants. I wouldn't say heavily planted but fairly planted. I plan on leaving the Rili's in there. If some babies get picked off that is fine by me. I've kept many species during the years and wanted something different. I'm just lost on what to try to make all of us happy.
Please give me some ideas.

Last edited by Darth Toro; 02-06-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Rechecked water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Schooling fish maybe? Rummy Nose Tetra, Harlequin Rasobra, Neon Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio?

Cory Cats? Pygmy Cory Cats?

I have 1 Apple Snail in my tank that my kids love and appropriately named "Gary". We also had a nice Blue Dwarf Gourami my daughter named "Mr. Grouper" but I think it may make your Rilis a tasty snack.

40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes definitely schooling fish. I'm leaning towards Boraras brigittae right now and I def want Pygmy cories.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ghost shrimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Schooling fish maybe? Rummy Nose Tetra, Harlequin Rasobra, Neon Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio?

Cory Cats? Pygmy Cory Cats?

I have 1 Apple Snail in my tank that my kids love and appropriately named "Gary". We also had a nice Blue Dwarf Gourami my daughter named "Mr. Grouper" but I think it may make your Rilis a tasty snack.
That's my Suggestion in a nutshell. I have a 20L Shrimp tank with Eco complete and it also has 6 Pygmy cories and 2 oto cats. If this tank wasn't for the purpose of keeping little shrimp alive I would Def. put some CPD's in their.

Just another Shrimper wondering around the Fourm :p

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176557&highlight
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would throw up another schooling fish, Vietnamese white clouds. They are extremely hardy and active as well. I think they are often called the poor man's tetra but they are quite stunning in schools. I have them with orange neos and tigers and so far so good
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Toro View Post
Yes definitely schooling fish. I'm leaning towards Boraras brigittae right now and I def want Pygmy cories.
!! This is a great combination. You minimize the ability to eat shrimp by choosing fish with small mouths.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pygmy cories I am looking to get some for 20gal long shrimp tank. Otos are great too.

80gal planted Angelfish community.
100gal SA cichlid, Silver dollar, and delhezi. No plants!
36 gal Planted Swordtail community.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well went to a lfs and came home with completely different fish then we talked about. They had these beautiful Emperor Tetras that I couldn't resist. The colors and fins were spectacular and they looked really healthy. So I bought six of them. I know they are much bigger then what we discussed but I thought about my son and figured the other fish were just to small for him to appreciate right now. I also know this puts my shrimp at more risk. Also in the same tank at the store were these peacock gudgeons. Another species I had never kept before. So I bought the two of them as well. They look great in the tank. The gudgeons seem shy so far. My wife seemed disappointed she wanted "bright colored fish". Which I understand would probably interest my son more. I was excited at what I bought.
All I can think of for that is glo-light tetras which I don't believe in buying because of what they do to them. Any other suggestions for another type of fish for this tank that is bright and would appeal to a toddler? I know I should wait a couple of weeks or even a month before introducing something else into the tank.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

German blue rams are great and very colorful. Maybe be pair inur tank if u dont mind a few shrimp being eaten.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Believe it or not they had a few in that same tank at the lfs. I almost got them too until he reminded me that they can get bigger. Do you think a German blue ram is ok in a 20g long?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

I have had honey gouramis in my 20 long. One was a sunset, the other a red. I really like/liked them. The sunset passed a week ago out of nowhere, but the red is doing well. I'm not sure they do well with other labyrinth fish. May have been a culprit in the death of the sunset (stress related?)

Not super colorful, but peaceful and I like their demeanor. Fun fish to watch just scrounging the bottom for whatever they eat. Mine would only spit the micro pellets out, never actually eat them. They can be partial to eating some plants, especially my Bacopa carolinianas. He is especially fond of cucumbers.

+1 to the recommendation of the white clouds. I had 5 and they were skittish. I got 5 more and they are looking very much more comfortable.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i say rummy nose and a couple rams either german blue/blue rams (not electric blue they are not quite as hardy) or bolivian rams. lots of color the rummys school well and thing it would be pretty and keep your son intertained with the colors

yes a pair of rams would be fine for a 20 long
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

Re: Help me pick fish for my 20g long

this must be your first child congratulations! you could put baby pandas on a unicycle on fire in your fish tank, and after about a week he won't pay them any attention. Also he won't see anything that swims on the bottom of the substrate from his perspective, 30 inches of the floor. father of four boys under 5 years.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lol. Thanks for the good laugh. Your right he is my first. He has a fleeting interest. He will watch when I feed them. We have another 20 long in my parents living room and he does check it out but we do have to mention it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A GBR with dwarf cories and microrasboras? I'm not sure, you'd have to confer with people who've had that combination.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode