Did I buy the correct fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did I buy the correct fish?

Are these Siamese algae eaters? The ones that eat bba?

The lfs labeled them as flying foxes, but the employee assured me that these are the fish that eat bba. I even showed him a picture of what I wanted and he said that these are the same fish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359955442.257727.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	80154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Kado,

Yes, that appears to be a SAE (Siamese algae eater, Crossocheilus oblongus). My experience has been that they don't seem to do well eating BBA if the BBA is healthy and thriving. However, if I dose a tank with BBA with some Seachem Excel / glutaraldehyde and weaken the BBA then the SAE will eat it with relish.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Kado,

Yes, that appears to be a SAE (Siamese algae eater, Crossocheilus oblongus). My experience has been that they don't seem to do well eating BBA if the BBA is healthy and thriving. However, if I dose a tank with BBA with some Seachem Excel / glutaraldehyde and weaken the BBA then the SAE will eat it with relish.
Awesome thanks for the info! good to know I got the correct fish. Can't find Excel over here, but I think the bigger LFS should have something like it.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does that black stripe run all the way thru the tail?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yup the stripe run all the way through the tail.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

those are SAEs for sure... just know, you will eventually have to remove them from the tank. I have had SAEs get up to 5 inches long and they become PITAs. They harass everyone in the tank and fight with each other, plus stop eating algae

next time... go with excel dosing and a platoon of otos

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
those are SAEs for sure... just know, you will eventually have to remove them from the tank. I have had SAEs get up to 5 inches long and they become PITAs. They harass everyone in the tank and fight with each other, plus stop eating algae

next time... go with excel dosing and a platoon of otos

Everyone seems to have a different experience with SAEs. I bought a single one for my 30 gallon tank and he seems to have maxed out at about 3 inches and is very peaceful. He prefers to spend most of his time laying on big sword leaves. I've had him for over a year, and either he is still eating algae, or I stopped growing BBA altogether.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the warning.

I did do some research before buying my SAEs and a lot of it is contradicting. As for size most said that they have a max size of about 6", but average size in aquariums is 4". I also read that they are mostly peaceful schooling fish, but very active and that may annoy some other fishes. So far the 3 I got like to stick together. There were some sites that said that they are territorial and just get 1, but the info is very confusing because some sites may have been getting them mixed up with flying foxes. Here in Japan the 2 LFSs I've been to had them labeled as flying foxes.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I had 2 and one bullied the other very badly and wouldn't let it eat.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakman View Post
Everyone seems to have a different experience with SAEs. I bought a single one for my 30 gallon tank and he seems to have maxed out at about 3 inches and is very peaceful. He prefers to spend most of his time laying on big sword leaves. I've had him for over a year, and either he is still eating algae, or I stopped growing BBA altogether.
probably has to do with your tank size. If you only get 1, then they are fine, but if you have more than 1, that is where the issues start

msawdey
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Thanks for the warning.

I did do some research before buying my SAEs and a lot of it is contradicting. As for size most said that they have a max size of about 6", but average size in aquariums is 4". I also read that they are mostly peaceful schooling fish, but very active and that may annoy some other fishes. So far the 3 I got like to stick together. There were some sites that said that they are territorial and just get 1, but the info is very confusing because some sites may have been getting them mixed up with flying foxes. Here in Japan the 2 LFSs I've been to had them labeled as flying foxes.
they will stick together when they are young. They wont start their nasty behavior until they reach about 4 inches. When you start to see then eating the food you feed, then its all down hill. I had 2 just 3 months ago that were over 5 inches, and had to have been about 1.5 inches around (circumference of abdomen). They WERE HUGE

Plus the reason i suggested otos, is i now have 20 in my 50 gallon tropical tank. I love to watch them interact and swim with each other. The swimming almost looks deliberate and that they are communicating with each other

msawdey
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
they will stick together when they are young. They wont start their nasty behavior until they reach about 4 inches. When you start to see then eating the food you feed, then its all down hill. I had 2 just 3 months ago that were over 5 inches, and had to have been about 1.5 inches around (circumference of abdomen). They WERE HUGE

Plus the reason i suggested otos, is i now have 20 in my 50 gallon tropical tank. I love to watch them interact and swim with each other. The swimming almost looks deliberate and that they are communicating with each other
Thanks, I'll be keep an eye on their behavior.
I already have 5 otos, 10 amanos, and 3 Clithon retropictus, but none of them will eat bba. The otos are also my wife's favorite fish. Size isn't a problem, I have a turtle tank that may need upgrading anyways. Any idea on how fast they grow?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

The SAEs? Once they start eating pellets, live food, or flakes, they will take off. I saw an explosion with the 6 i had. They were all about 2.5 inches and within 6 months were over 4-5

msawdey
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow that's fast! Lol I'm glad I didn't listen the the lfs employee when he said I needed 10 for the tank size I have.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
Wow that's fast! Lol I'm glad I didn't listen the the lfs employee when he said I needed 10 for the tank size I have.
what size is the tank?

msawdey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode