The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do you name your pet fish?

2K views 34 replies 32 participants last post by  puopg 
#1 ·
Who's your favorite fish? And do you name them?

I have a red platy named Cumberbatch.

We named our school of Roseline sharks "Delta Squadron"
and our school of bosemani rainbows "Gamma Squadron"

I just got a new female GBRam. Any name suggestions?

#5 ·
I like naming my critters. My first betta was red, his name was Corporal Cardinal of the Betta Fish Elite Wing. My second betta was yellow with red spots, his name was Ton-yén. My third betta is red with white edging on his fins, his name is Méut jan. I had 4 adult American Grass shrimp and over 20 babies. The dominant female was One-eye. Then there was The Lone Shrimpie. Then there was The Other Female and The Other Male. Any babies were called "little buggers". I named one bladder snail, his name is Dinky.

-edit- Oh, there was also a goldfish named Finnegan.

#7 ·
I named one of my Columbian tetras - the first (and only) time I've named a fish. I don't know what happened to him but he has always looked like he ran into the wall. His head is at a crooked angle and that makes one of his gills stay open and one of his eyes appear to pop out slightly. I call him Igor after Igor (Eye-gor) in Young Frankenstein. Oddly enough, I think he's the dominate male Columbian and the father of my 65-ish fry - lol. He has an extremely tall, flowing dorsal fin, so it all balances out for him...

#8 ·
SO glad you asked lol!
My kids think I am nuts

Blood Parrot Cichlid - Bubbles
3 Giant Danios - Zena, Zeus, and Polly
Blue Gourami - Jack (his mate died, she was Diane)
Albino Catfish - ******
Oto- Oto

Blue Betta- Harold (he reminds me of an "old guy")

My 2 year old named these:
Yellow Cichlid - Banana
Orange Cichlid - Orangie
Zebra Striped Ciclid - Stripe

We have 6 new mollies, a snail, and 3 more oto's to name, I might just call them the 2 live crew, and not name any of them, aside from my daughters snail who she calls "Smelly" for the time being. The betta, Harold, runs that tank now- it's my 55g planted.

Funny stuff!

#9 ·
I only rarely will name my fish, in great part because it's difficult to easily spot just one fish in a school. Sure, if all the neons are together it's easy to pick out the largest and smallest, but if they're scattered? Not so easy.

Singletons stand a better chance of getting names, but even then I tend to just mentally tag them by their species name or a specific characteristics. Maybe it's just that I live alone-if you mostly only talk to yourself about a fish, a mental image works just as well, if not better, than a name.

The only recent exceptions were my angelfish Fred, whose name is a bit of a joke as I got tired of people asking me what I'd named a fish so I just referred to EVERY fish newly added as "Fred" and my last betta Pez: a lovely but pathetically not well Petco veil tail that I bought on something of a impulse to have as a poop dispenser in my no-tech plant holding tank.

#11 ·
As of now I don't have any fish named... Just my Big golf ball sized Ivory Mystey Snail that my Girlfriend named "Santiago." He has one of the best characters in the tank! He always does this thing where he climbs to the top of the tank, fills up on air, then just lets go of the side of the tank completely, and kind of seems to spread the soft part of his body out and glides across the tank to the bottom. I always know when it happens because I hear my Girlfriend yell "Santiago is base jumping again!!" lol Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

Oh and we used to have a small Bala shark named Dale ( like Dale and Brennan from Step Brothers... planned on getting a brennan too until I found out the max size)... Anyway, Dale didn't survive the tank cycling... RIP Dale.

- Matt M.

#12 ·
I never named a fish.

I did have 14 turtles all named Bob.

#14 ·
We name a lot of our fish. Guppies named: polka, sunset, stealth, butterfly, and sharpie. A redtail named Bruce, gourami named Cranky, pair of angels named Flotsam & Jetsam, betta named "Alpha", apple snail named peach, dwarf frog named kermit. I'm sure there are more.

I really like the idea of naming schools of fish squadrons lol. Might have to come up with something for my neon tetras and black skirts.

#20 ·
Yup we name the fish and the plants. We have a betta thats named blue but he is red colored. We have two marimo balls the big one is named hairy and the baby is named cowboy the three and five year old take great pride in naming their fish and plants

#22 ·
only my betta ... mariposa and it's a guy but we (my daughter and I) refer to him as a her.. "she's" moody (and yes we are female, so we can get away with it ;)

the only shrimp i named was "stoner" my shrimp who liked to hang out on the CO2 outflow - he died, CO2 poisoning I'm sure. Yes, he only hung out on CO2, ignored the Air next to it completely.

#25 ·
My turtle is named Ninja, and I have a ton of guppies so I only name some. If the offspring looks like the adult I named, it gets the same name. For example, my tiger cobra endler is named Derrell and all its babies are named Derrell. My GBRs are named Bolt and Cindy. My reddest PFR is named Red. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.