Tiger barb gone bad- advice please. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tiger barb gone bad- advice please.

One of my many Green Tiger barbs has developed a very bad habit.

He swims up behind and under one of my two Blood Red Parrots and then tries (some times with success ) to force his way under the gill covers so that he can take a bite from the gill.

I currently have him in solitary in a net breading enclosure,

I think that I am going to have to put him down. I have some clove oil but have not used this before. I would like some advice as to the best way to go about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

How many tiger barbs do you have? Tiger barbs can be nasty if kept in small numbers, I wouldn't keep less than 10.
If you don't have room for that many or just have a "bad egg" I would take it to an Lfs maybe it will do better in a group.
Plus they will ussually give you a little credit. I wouldn't put a fish Down unless it is suffering.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Does the UK have an equivalent to our craiglist? If so put a ad on for free tiger barb. Tiger barbs are definitely a pita fish at times.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Tiger barbs are definitely a pita fish at times.
True, but there's nothing like seeing a group of 20 or 25 swimming together around the tank. Beautiful and fun fish!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulupica View Post
True, but there's nothing like seeing a group of 20 or 25 swimming together around the tank. Beautiful and fun fish!
Rather go with a school of Buenos Aires tetras instead lol I have 20 in my geo tank.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
How many tiger barbs do you have? .
Got about 20 of them. Until now they have kept themselves to themselves. It is just this one young male that has developed this rather nasty habit. I can't risk the health of my parrot fish. I can't start another tank. I can't leave him confined and alone in a small net enclosure. If I return him to a shop I'm just passing along the problem. No I don't want to put him down, but currently options are limited. His last chance may be with a neighbour of mine, I'll have to see what he has in his tank.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

People are going to hate me for what I have to say, but forcing it's way into the gill covering and taking bites out of the gills? That's quite a bit different than fin nipping or chasing. I'd euthanize it.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
People are going to hate me for what I have to say, but forcing it's way into the gill covering and taking bites out of the gills? That's quite a bit different than fin nipping or chasing. I'd euthanize it.
Don't hate you fella. More or less the same conclusion that I've come too.

Any advice as to the how? I'm not squeamish but I don't want to be the cause of any unnecessary stress to the fish.

Last edited by Delexboarfoot; 01-18-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: question added.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
ony
Planted Member

Surely that's a last resort and only if there's no one local who will take it?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Planted Member

Net him and smack/slap the net on the side of your bath. That takes about 3 seconds. I have never used clove oil but maybe that is the most 'humane' way of doing it? I don't know how long clove oil takes to stun/kill a fish. At least with my method I know the fish is dead in very short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delexboarfoot View Post
Don't hate you fella. More or less the same conclusion that I've come too.

Any advice as to the how? I'm not squeamish but I don't want to be the cause of any unnecessary stress to the fish.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Impact is the fastest and most direct method. Crushing the head with a paver or brick is ideal, swinging the net can work too.

Some people use an in-sink garbage disposal (very quick but horrible to think about)

Clove oil works fairly slowly and you really need a decent amount to actually kill a fish. Smaller amounts will render them unconscious though, and then they can be dealt with in any way you see fit.

Personally, I would drop the fish into a bowl of ice water, as cold as you can get. This instantly shock will KO the fish and then you can deal with them in a manner of your choosing. Leaving the fish in contact with the ice water will eventually kill it.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a garbage disposal as stated above. It's instant.

I'm moving into a place without one though, so I'm not sure what methods I'll use next. Maybe smacking it against the tub. That sounds more brutal than the garbage disposal of you ask me though heh

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think freezing is also cruel - not fast enough. ("Don't hate you fella", btw, I'm a gal - lol)

I was raised in a seaside cottage on Long Island Sound. My paternal grandfather was a commercial fisherman. I have no problem killing a fish, so I'd either sever it's head with a razor blade or very sharp knife, or you could double bag it in a ziplock baggie and kill it with a hammer to the head if the razor thing is too on-hands for you (think Maxwells's Silver Hammer). Personally, if you're up to it, I think severing the spinal cord when decapitating the fish is the fastest way to euthanize one.

I know most people can't bring themselves to do my ideas, but you'll get lots of other suggestions of how to go about euthanizing the fish.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you're going to chop off the head, you also need to pith the fish, as the head will continue to live for upwards of a couple minutes after being removed from the body.

I agree the freezing is cruel, if it involves putting the fish into the freezer and then letting time do its thing. Shocking the fish with an ice water bath is much faster and thus causes less discomfort. The act of freezing things slowly in a home freezer is unpleasant even for food - I wouldn't want to go that way.

Crushing the head is still the fastest and easiest way.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
If you're going to chop off the head, you also need to pith the fish, as the head will continue to live for upwards of a couple minutes after being removed from the body.

I agree the freezing is cruel, if it involves putting the fish into the freezer and then letting time do its thing. Shocking the fish with an ice water bath is much faster and thus causes less discomfort. The act of freezing things slowly in a home freezer is unpleasant even for food - I wouldn't want to go that way.

Crushing the head is still the fastest and easiest way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode