White Clouds from Petsmart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

White Clouds from Petsmart

Maybe this wasn't a great idea, but I've gotten them from there before. well tonight I got 9 White Cloud Mountain Minnows from Petsmart. Well I had gotten them home and 2 of them had pretty much already died. Another one after. And after about 15 minutes I came back while they were acclimating, well, they were all dead. wtf is up with that? Could that be something to do with Petsmarts conditions? Because normally White Clouds are very hardy.. that and I didn't even get them into my tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Stress coat overdose? I see kids spray that stuff into little quart bags of water....
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Planted Member

I've noticed that it really depends on which store you buy from, be it a LFS or Petsmart, every location is different. For instance, I would never buy fish from a Petco in my area, every one I've been to the fish look sick and in poor conditions. I also see the same from my local store, they always have dead and sick fish in every tank, it's gross and everything I've bought there has died shortly after. On the other hand, I've had luck at the Petsmarts in my area, everything is clean and well maintained, and the fish have always faired well.

I think it's a matter of how well the store location maintains their tanks and the employees that do the packing. Try another store, you might have better luck.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
Don't forget that if they die quickly and it is not your fault you can bring the dead fish back, they will give you back your money or give you new stock.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

too bad that I had already flushed them....
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope you were going to quarantine them in a separate tank for say 30 days, because if you were acclimating them without a drip into your show tank your nuts. From that store you probably have a 50-90% chance of bringing something home that you would regret dearly.
What I would have done is check ph, gh, kh, TDS levels before you open the bag. Then adjust the QT tank levels to match the bag water. Plus I would prime the fish bag at the store because toxic ammonia will already build even with a short run home, a long run would be a whole different story.
Again, QUARANTINE the fish, but first drip acclimate them for at least 1 hour or more with a slow drip line changing the water every 15-20 minutes, tiny amounts at a time.
The # 1 cause of early fish death during transport to other tanks is osmotic shock. TDS being # 1, Temp #2, followed by big changes in Kh, & gH, WITH PH BEING LESS critical as long as the change is not super fast. The cells of the fish can swell & explode causing quick death. They will drowned if the TDS falls too fast.
People , myself included have gotten away with flop & drop many times, but luck & levels may have been on my side. It is inhumane to subject fish to quick & sudden changes.
The fish should be in QT for at least 3 weeks, more if the matching target levels are way off. What's way off ? TDS from say 530 & target is 250. Gh is at 15 at store & your planted tank is 5.
My 3 cents.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Um, are you kidding me? I'm not going through all that. Seriously lol
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Um, are you kidding me? I'm not going through all that. Seriously lol
While I agree with you to an extent, I never quarantined anything when I was a teenager with 3 tanks and never had a problem, or now as I got back into the hobby and haven't had an issue yet. I would certainly do it if I had exotic or rare fish.

What I do now is empty the bag and fish into a bucket and slowly add a little tank water over a couple hours until I've doubled or tripled the water that was in the bag. Then I let it sit for another hour before netting out the fish. Hopefully making the transition easier. Obviously, this won't prevent disease from entering the tank, but I also obsessively check my tanks and even more so when I have new fish, so if I see any sign of problems I pull the fish and put them in a spare tank.

Honestly, I would quarantine new fish if my wife wasn't adamant that I have no more tanks in the house, even temporary ones. So, I don't have much choice.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've had that happen to be with a bag of feeders. Took it out to my car drove 20 minutes to my house, looked at the bag and all 12 minnows were dead.

It was a cold day, I was thinking it was the sudden temperature changes. Luckily they were only $1.50 worth of fish and my turtle still ate them.

Remember that Petco/PetSmart has a 15 or 30 day guarantee with freshwater fish. If a fish dies put it into a zip lock and into the freezer and return them at your convince for a refund or exchange. This comes in handy with the more delicate fish like glass cats, otos, and shrimp.

My local Petco even took a skeleton of a fish, it was all that was left after my Tiger Barbs got to the body. One of them was swimming around with a glass catfish backbone hanging from it's mouth like a puppy with a bone.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

petsmart have a doa policy so bring them back next time.

also test the water in the bag. ive hard TDS show 2500ppm out of some shops...

bare in mind that the individual tolerances for transitioning between water conditions varies by species. I find labyinth fish very sensative where livebearers and various cichlids are bulletproof (except rams). know that its easier to transition from hard to soft, warm to cold but not the reverse.

sorry to hear for yours, and any loss in general. its just not meant to be.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks guys. I did actually pick up 7 Golden White Clouds today from a LFS. And they seem to be doing fine so far. No casualties.

White Clouds are in general very hardy which is one reason why I like them so much. I feel like they have great colors, too.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
While I agree with you to an extent, I never quarantined anything when I was a teenager with 3 tanks and never had a problem, or now as I got back into the hobby and haven't had an issue yet. I would certainly do it if I had exotic or rare fish.

What I do now is empty the bag and fish into a bucket and slowly add a little tank water over a couple hours until I've doubled or tripled the water that was in the bag. Then I let it sit for another hour before netting out the fish. Hopefully making the transition easier. Obviously, this won't prevent disease from entering the tank, but I also obsessively check my tanks and even more so when I have new fish, so if I see any sign of problems I pull the fish and put them in a spare tank.

Honestly, I would quarantine new fish if my wife wasn't adamant that I have no more tanks in the house, even temporary ones. So, I don't have much choice.

You sound just like me!! Not only do I acclimate the same exact way, but my wife won't let me set up more tanks either! Are you my long lost brother? ahaha.

Anyways, no need to go to extremes with new fish, unless you are getting expensive ones. You have to find a good LFS, and make sure you watch that tank for a little while. I can stand there for a good 20 minutes to half hour watching a tank before I buy! My wife hates it....
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
You have to find a good LFS, and make sure you watch that tank for a little while. I can stand there for a good 20 minutes to half hour watching a tank before I buy! My wife hates it....
Ok, this is just creepy! My wife sighs every time I tell her I'm going to look at the fish. She knows I'm going to be awhile
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

PETSMART SUCKS! lol never going to buy fish there again. I have had 2 out 20 fish survive from there ahaha

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
Ok, this is just creepy! My wife sighs every time I tell her I'm going to look at the fish. She knows I'm going to be awhile

It is getting creepy....

My Petsmart is great! The guy who runs the aquatic department used to own a fish store, so he keeps things tip top! I have yet to lose a fish from that store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode