emergency - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

emergency

i woke up today and all my fish were dead i dont no what happened maby i had an ammonia spike my parameters areno2 and no3 are zero ph is 7.0 kh is 40 gh 180 someone help please i just put in a new filter could it be the flow or the filter in some way someone help so i can fix it please and the two mollies are swimming on the bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry about your loss! Any chance your heater malfunctioned?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It would take so much flow to kill your fish you would know immediately something was wrong. It sounds like something environmental. Maybe toxicity from ammonia or chlorine, very possibly a malfunctioning heater. How many fish, what size tank?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i had 10 fish now i have 5 and one is on the top kinda gulping for air its a brand new filter i just put it in the other day it a 7.9 gal and the water is kinda cloudy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe an airborne chemical like a air freshener, cleaning product or something else used in the home? I wouldn't necessarily have to have been used in the same room if it was potent enough.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

You said NO2 (nitrIte) and NO3 (nitrAte) are zero - Is that correct? Did you test for ammonia?

Life isn't stone, it's water.

PSA: When talking about baby fish, "fry" is plural.
I have a fry. I have some fry.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Member

Change 50% of the water and see if the condition of your fish improves. If so I would continue changing about 30% of the water every 3 days or so for the time being. Make sure to treat the new water for chlorine/chloramine with a good water conditioner. Also make sure the new water is approximately the same temp as the water in the tank.

Unless your water is way too hot I am guessing your problem has to do with water quality. When you switched filters you probably removed a lot of the good bacteria that converts Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. It may take a couple of weeks until a new colony is established.

How long as the tank been set up? Was it cycled? Do you have live plants and if so, how many? You had 10 fish in an 8 gallon tank? That may have been your initial problem depending on how large the fish are/were and your water change schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
You said NO2 (nitrIte) and NO3 (nitrAte) are zero - Is that correct? Did you test for ammonia?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergreeneye View Post
i had 10 fish now i have 5 and one is on the top kinda gulping for air its a brand new filter i just put it in the other day it a 7.9 gal and the water is kinda cloudy
Sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. It was likely a combination of your new filter and the possibility you did not cycle your aquarium in the first place (nitrates should not be zero in a cycled aquarium).

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

re

I'm no big expert but what you described is sounds like Amonia spike.

In such a small tank... it's impossible to save your fish, besides did you say you changed your filter? that could be the cause, as you probably lost 2 3rds of your beneficial bacteria .
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i just did a water change. its been set up for like 2 and a half years now and i have many plants including anubias and some swords and some java fern and a piece of mopani wood the tank i well established and this is the second major die off ive had the first was when i went away so i dident no what went wrong but today i got up and the water was kinda cloudy and all the fish were dead i think it was and is a ammonia spike from the new filter cause thats the only thing i changed in the last 6 months i did the water change and now everything seems fine ill have to monitor it for awhile and do more water water changes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

did you use filter media from your old filter or run them side by side before removing the old filter? May be ammonia if thats the case since you dont have a colony of bacteria built up in your new filter.

20 gallon
2.5 Sparta

Canon Pimp Club #094
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i did put the old filter media in the canister and are all my fish gonna die
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your fish should survive if you did a water change. When you changed to the new filter it may have reduced your biofilter for a bit, and caused a spike. IF your water is cloudy, something probably died in there and was breaking down.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is this the same tank your cories were dieing in?

Did you get the liquid tests? Or you still using the strips?

*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i got some ammo liquid but i still haven't had any money to buy a good test kit yet also i bought some ammo solution and put it in my tank so far it looks very bleak in there i hope everything lives and the ammo test i did read .2 on the color meter and it was a vary light green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode