Left frozen bloodworms out overnight, can they still be used? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Left frozen bloodworms out overnight, can they still be used?

I've done this so many times now and have been throwing out the thawed out food. It's the kind in the individually sealed cubes. What do you all think? Would one thaw really do that much harm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

Well... I wouldnt want to eat frozen-thawed raw food left overnight at room temperature. Or were the worms in the fridge?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If they were in the fridge you would probably be ok. if on the counter I would probably throw out.

Curt

So Many Hobbies... So Little Time...

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

If the cube is still sealed, I can't imagine it would be that bad, especially if it was just overnight and the cubes are still cold. I've done that before, and fed the refrozen cubes without a problem.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do a sniff test...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Planted Member

Your fish will most likely still eat them. I think you're probably alright to use them.

Also, I've been to a LFS before when they're getting their shipment in of frozen food and I was amazed because most of the frozen food had already thawed before being put in their freezer.

Last edited by BenderBendingRodriguez; 11-28-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: ...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
Your fish will most likely still eat them. I think you're probably alright to use them.

Also, I've been to a LFS before when they're getting their shipment in of frozen food and I was amazed because most of the frozen food had already thawed before being put in their freezer.
that how it works! lol...most of the time, they just refreeze it...

if u buy during the summer month, give the package a sniff ..if it smell bad..don't buy that batch

since it's seal and air tight...i dont' see why u can't reuse it

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Consider buying freeze dried.

http://www.almostnaturalfishfood.us/...0c62e21a9e9076

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I appreciate everyones perspectives and maybe I'll tried freezdried but I think my dwarf puffer would be dissapointed. I did buy some more for him but I refroze the stuff I left out this time and will probably periodically feed it to my other fishes who don't depend solely on the bloodworms.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesawguy View Post
...maybe I'll tried freezdried but I think my dwarf puffer would be disappointed...
Not sure why you think that. Freeze drying only removes moisture, which gets replaced as soon as the product hits water. My fish (none are puffers) love the freeze dried stuff.

Send me your address and I'll mail you a sample.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

for human consumption you would never do that, even sealed.

the problem is that those worms are now 12hrs into decay. granted in the wild fish nibble on dead stuff till its gone. the question is are you willing to risk that unknown?

Will

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

Space Coast Aquatic Plant Society on Facebook.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
flc
Algae Grower

I'm totally in agreement with AD- the food is probably OK, but think of it in terms of risk management.

Estimate the risk of losing $X.XX worth of fish food vs. $XX.XX of fish. Now add in the value of your time and factor in any emotional attachment you may have toward your livestock. If your losses are acceptable, then go ahead and use it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Leaving it out one night will be just fine. If the fish eats it then it obviously hasn't become terribly foul yet. I find that fish have a great sense (whether via smell or taste) of what food is no good to be consumed so if they keep it down and don't spit it out -- then you're fine.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I guess if I'm going to confine these fish to a life of captivity then the least I can do is not feed them questionable food. The lives of these bloodworms will have been all for naught though. I think I might be trolling now.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesawguy View Post
I guess if I'm going to confine these fish to a life of captivity then the least I can do is not feed them questionable food. The lives of these bloodworms will have been all for naught though. I think I might be trolling now.
Fair enough, but remember...these fish in the wild do not just get sick & die when they are scavenging around and happen to ingest a dead animal that has "gone bad". These fish would know it does not taste/smell edible and would spit it out.

Don't treat them like humans. Humans are so domesticated we have come to depend on heat to cook our foods and so our body is not use to ingesting raw or food that has "gone bad". Which is why we develop vomiting/diarrhea when we eat something that is bad. I don't think this is the case at all for fish/animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode