The Planted Tank Forum banner

Craigslist Betta

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  HighDesert 
#1 ·
Good evenin everyone!

So I found this guy for free on craigslist. Pretty excited. First time owning a betta! I've owned tons of tanks and yet to have a betta so figured it was time. Plus didn't really want him going to anyone who will keep him in that teeny tank without a heater. Trust me it's cold up here >_>

I've done a bunch of reading, I known general care for these guys. But to get to the point I'm kinda worried about his fins. What's going on with them?

I haven't picked him up yet but would like to know what I getting into.

Thanks in advance!

Tanks he has been housed in but no longer!

See less See more
#7 ·
Got him today!!

And he's in a bit worse shape than I was expecting.

I am planning on doing daily almost 100% water changes for about 10 days just hopefully to stop the rot and begin healing.

I originally was planning to put him my 2.5 moss tank but I'm worried about if the salt will bother the moss.

So new plan is to keep him the half gallon he came with for the next 10 days and hopefully with daily wc and keeping him warm he'll turn around. Think he will be okay in the .5 gallon for short term?

#8 ·
Fins don't look that bad, maybe a little ammonia burn and a little tattered. But with just clean, warm water, he will heal fine.

So if you want to put him in the moss tank now, it's fine. He shouldn't need anything other than clean water.

How worse for ware is he in reality?

#14 ·
Thanks Amanda!! nothing compared to that doberman of yours! I have always wanted a dobie.

For the water changes he will be in a non filtered half gallon for tens days so that's why the changes are so larger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.