Center piece recommendation - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
SlammedDC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,574
Center piece recommendation

I have a 125g stocked with cardinals, black neons, rummy nose, rasbora het, roselines, glow light tetras, pygmy cories, black kuhli loaches, BN plecos, and a pair of blue rams. I am looking for a center piece fish 1-3 would be ideal. However I'm not sure of what I want. I have had angels before but they've always eaten the smaller tetras. As much as I would like a couple discus I have no plans to increase water changes so they're out.
Any other ideas? I saw a pink tail chalceus at the LFS yesterday but according to what I've read on google they will eat smaller fish and would likely jump out of my tank.

Semper Fi
SlammedDC2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
bosemanni?
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HybridHerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 3,892
basically, you want something largish that will not eat everything you already have right?
The problem I am having is that most larger fish (like the pink tail) will get 8" plus and have a mouth fit for eating everything that you currently have. Especially because some of what you have is only an inch in size

the ONE large fish I can think of that would not harm everything else you have is a bit of an oddball and not something you see very often, especially at larger sizes, but it does better on its own from what I hear and it would love to be in a 125 like what you have. They are a little sensitive and fragile from what I here, but I think an elephant nose might be exactly the kind of fish you are looking for.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Planted Member
 
JoeGREEEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 232
maybe a

Flagtail PROCHILODUS

just keep one cause they are very territorial towards thier own kind, though they will eat up your soft plants.

thats the problem with most big herbavore fish is that they will tearup a planted tank easy.
JoeGREEEN is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Nation
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 888
angel is the only thing that came to my mind. The only tetra it would probably eat is the glowlights. Other than that your other tetras would be good with angels in my opinion.
mitchfish9 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Kathyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 4,182
Gouramis? Pearls are just spectacular fish.

A trio of one of the rainbows would be my choice though, interesting behaviors those fish have.

I would actually increase the size of your favorite fish's school though. If you put in a large fish the existing fish will look dinky and might throw off the perspective of the tank. My 2 year old black neons look like specks in the tank now with the mature Congo tetras in the tank.
Kathyy is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
SlammedDC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
bosemanni?
I've never really been a big fan of the rainbows, however I might just go with them for their coloring and because I haven't really been able to find anything else I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
basically, you want something largish that will not eat everything you already have right?
The problem I am having is that most larger fish (like the pink tail) will get 8" plus and have a mouth fit for eating everything that you currently have. Especially because some of what you have is only an inch in size

the ONE large fish I can think of that would not harm everything else you have is a bit of an oddball and not something you see very often, especially at larger sizes, but it does better on its own from what I hear and it would love to be in a 125 like what you have. They are a little sensitive and fragile from what I here, but I think an elephant nose might be exactly the kind of fish you are looking for.
Yes, I want a larger oddball. I have looked at the elephant nose but was looking for something with a bit more color, however I do like that it is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGREEEN View Post
maybe a

Flagtail PROCHILODUS

just keep one cause they are very territorial towards thier own kind, though they will eat up your soft plants.

thats the problem with most big herbavore fish is that they will tearup a planted tank easy.
I would rather not have anything that will eat any of the plants. The tank is very heavily planted and I'd reather it stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
angel is the only thing that came to my mind. The only tetra it would probably eat is the glowlights. Other than that your other tetras would be good with angels in my opinion.
As much as I would like a couple angels, I have had them eat most of my tetras in the past. They even ate the ottos, and picked the plecos to death.
If I knew I could get a couple docile ones I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Gouramis? Pearls are just spectacular fish.

A trio of one of the rainbows would be my choice though, interesting behaviors those fish have.

I would actually increase the size of your favorite fish's school though. If you put in a large fish the existing fish will look dinky and might throw off the perspective of the tank. My 2 year old black neons look like specks in the tank now with the mature Congo tetras in the tank.
I've seen gouramis as center piece choices on a lot of forums, I have never really been a big fan of any species.

Not trying to be difficult, I just want something pleasing to look at that wont in turn eat my plants and or fish.

Semper Fi
SlammedDC2 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
msawdey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 1,014
plus 1 on the angels. Find a pair off aquabid. How small were the tetras? As long as I seem to keep 6 tetras, the angels have always left them alone

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
msawdey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome