killing fish in the freezer? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 475
Wink

My vote- liquid nitrogen. Then toss it at a hard surface and see if it really shatters. I tried it with a bouncing ball once. They are not as easy to shatter as science professors would have you believe.
ShyShrimpDoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Zefrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Posts: 1,026
I ran my fish over with a minivan.
Zefrik is offline  
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Algae Grower
 
Hidden Walrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 136
"I don't believe that happens, do you have a Link to support that?"

No, but I figured that blood is liquid, and the liquids expand when they freeze, which would make the frozen blood too large for the vessels, breaking them open and I imagine that would not feel too good.
Hidden Walrus is offline  
post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower
 
Fundulopanchax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 41
I am new to this forum but not new to pets or the use of common sense.
If you claim to be an aquarist of at least moderate experience you should probably also possess enough common sense to see that there is no empirical evidence that putting a living fish in a freezer is 'humane' and that the fish does not suffer from this death. It is however, quite evident that decapitating a fish is the most efficient way to give it a quick death.
Fundulopanchax is offline  
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru
 
AVN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,082
Alright guys, now I have to ask, because all you have discussed begs the question, why does it matter?

If you're going to kill the fish anyways, why does it matter how you kill the fish? Because it feels less pain? Because you feel less pain?

You need to step back and realize that there are plenty more fish in the sea, and that's that is all it is, a fish you took from the sea. Sometimes when you love something, you have to just hit it with a hammer.
AVN is offline  
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Walrus View Post
"I don't believe that happens, do you have a Link to support that?"

No, but I figured that blood is liquid, and the liquids expand when they freeze, which would make the frozen blood too large for the vessels, breaking them open and I imagine that would not feel too good.
I'm pretty sure that the fish would die before the blood froze..
Vincent Tran is offline  
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Planted Member
 
KFryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 240
I used clove oil before, actually worked quite well. My hands and everything just smeeled like clove oil. It pretty much put the fish to sleep. I got all the information on how to do it on an Oscar forum.
KFryman is offline  
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Planted Member
 
charms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 159
+1 on the Clove Oil. Clove oil + tank water.. Hubby says our fist sized goldfish was floating in seconds. Quick and (seemingly) humane gets my vote every time :-\

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
charms is offline  
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundulopanchax View Post
....
If you claim to be an aquarist of at least moderate experience you should probably also possess enough common sense to see that there is no empirical evidence that putting a living fish in a freezer is 'humane' and that the fish does not suffer from this death....
I would offer a reasonable person would try to educate themselves on the physiological effects of any method before adopting it as a solution or criticizing others for their choice. I do understand this can be a disturbing topic for the more emotional members of the community.

BTW - Welcome to the forum
DogFish is offline  
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
VivaDaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Alright guys, now I have to ask, because all you have discussed begs the question, why does it matter?

If you're going to kill the fish anyways, why does it matter how you kill the fish? Because it feels less pain? Because you feel less pain?

You need to step back and realize that there are plenty more fish in the sea, and that's that is all it is, a fish you took from the sea. Sometimes when you love something, you have to just hit it with a hammer.
Because current research shows that fish feel pain, and you show compassion by being humane in killing an animal. Of course, some people wont care, to them it is just a fish. But to some, they are beloved pets just like any dog or cat. Would you put your dog in a freezer to humanely put it to sleep?
VivaDaWolf is offline  
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
AVN
Wannabe Guru
 
AVN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,082
That's a really bad question to ask me. I breed and train aggressive hunting dogs for a living and I have to hit them all the time. Sometimes they just refuse to listen, and choose to fight for pack dominance. Sometimes I wish I could toss a couple of them in the freezer. >__>

You gotta be inhumane, you gotta lay the smack down, whistle their ears off, wet them, or you shock them with collars. Whichever tells your dog that you're the dominant one.

I deal with this "humane" bullshizzzz all the time, especially when someone who is uneducated and uninformed about the dog training field tells me that the way I treat my pack is inhumane. No fuqqing shizzznazz, they're not humans, they don't understand as we do. You can't reason with an animal, hell, you can barely even tell them what to do at times.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for the inhumane treatment of animals. I do love my animals, but not to the point where I care about the way they feel as they die. There's a point where they become "just fish." If given the choice, of course any sensible person would choose to end their pet's life painlessly, I am no different, but that doesn't mean that every single animal alive warrants the same treatment. Who is to say that it is wrong to kill your fish with a hammer? Or to freeze it?

Whether clove oil, hammertime, or just tossing it in the freezer. It's just another animal that you are putting down. It's all about morality and perspective, to each their own.

Last edited by AVN; 10-10-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: removed curses
AVN is offline  
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,510
hmm... Since I have an absolute phobia to dead and dying stuff... I don't touch dying fish.... I would let them die at their own pace in a quarantine tank. then I'll dig a hole deep enough in the garden and pour the water+fish into the hole and bury it.
aokashi is online now  
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
AVN
Wannabe Guru
 
AVN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hmm... Since I have an absolute phobia to dead and dying stuff... I don't touch dying fish.... I would let them die at their own pace in a quarantine tank. then I'll dig a hole deep enough in the garden and pour the water+fish into the hole and bury it.
And is this your view of humane? What if the fish is slowly suffering as it dies? In this case, wouldn't it be more humane and compassionate to smash it with a hammer?
AVN is offline  
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
That's a really bad question to ask me. I breed and train aggressive hunting dogs for a living and I have to hit them all the time. Sometimes they just refuse to listen, and choose to fight for pack dominance. Sometimes I wish I could toss a couple of them in the freezer. >__>

You gotta be inhumane, you gotta lay the smack down, whistle their ears off, wet them, or you shock them with collars. Whichever tells your dog that you're the dominant one.

I deal with this "humane" bullshizzzz all the time, especially when someone who is uneducated and uninformed about the dog training field tells me that the way I treat my pack is inhumane. No fuqqing shizzznazz, they're not humans, they don't understand as we do. You can't reason with an animal, hell, you can barely even tell them what to do at times.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for the inhumane treatment of animals. I do love my animals, but not to the point where I care about the way they feel as they die. There's a point where they become "just fish." If given the choice, of course any sensible person would choose to end their pet's life painlessly, I am no different, but that doesn't mean that every single animal alive warrants the same treatment. Who is to say that it is wrong to kill your fish with a hammer? Or to freeze it?

Whether clove oil, hammertime, or just tossing it in the freezer. It's just another animal that you are putting down. It's all about morality and perspective, to each their own.
Um you do realise that the dominance/pack leader dog training theory is 30 years out of date and there are much more humane ways to train dogs? Hitting an animal is abuse plain and simple, why use pain and fear to train when you can use much better ways?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline  
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Um you do realise that the dominance/pack leader dog training theory is 30 years out of date and there are much more humane ways to train dogs? Hitting an animal is abuse plain and simple, why use pain and fear to train when you can use much better ways?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Adding in that there is now solid science behind dog behaviour and learning. Saying it is not inhumane nor are there better ways is ignorant.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome