The Planted Tank Forum banner

White Spots on Fins

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  flutterbug 
#1 ·
I have been Quarantining 2 Blue Rams for a couple weeks and all of a sudden I am starting to notice little white circular dots on their fins. They both have 2. I don't think it is ich because it isn't on their bodies at all. You could almost confuse it with the natural dots on their fins but it looks more globular in shape. I am thinking some sort of fish lice or parasite? Unfortunately I added them to my 55 gallon last night and didn't notice until now. Perhaps due to the brighter lights for my planted tank. One of them paired off with my Ram I already had and now I am scared to remove him back to QT. Plus I have added a new batch of fish to QT tank, consisting of 1 new ram, and 5 Otos. Please help.

#3 ·
Ich? if it is just google how to treat it, also i dont think the fish would die from its mate being moved to a different tank, could have had advanced stages of Ich, and or been the source, have you recently gotten fish? if so how long ago?

#4 ·
The fish that died had no sign of ich (She was in the tank for a couple weeks and I had quarantined her for 2 weeks prior to that.) but I took out the male she had paired off with because I noticed he had a couple spots starting. She looked like she wanted to lay eggs and I have a Dwarf Gourami that could have picked on her. She seemed completely healthy a few hours ago.

#5 ·
Ich can show up on fins, doesn't necessarily have to be on their bodies for it to be Ich. If a fish is infected in the main tank then it's safe to assume the whole tank is infected and should be treated. I'm assuming they look like grains of salt and are not fluffy or cottony? If so then it's probably Ich. Slowly raise heat to 86 over the course of a day or two and leave it that way for at least a week or two after you notice all spots gone and do frequent water changes with substrate vacuum to suck up the parasites that fall to the bottom. Heat alone can treat Ich; you can add some aquarium salt too but only if your fish allow it (some scaleless fish like Corys and inverts don't do well with salt).

#6 ·
My main tank has Snails, Amano Shrimp, Dwarf Gourami, Hengels Rasbora & Otos. I am very nervous that high temps will bother the Otos, do you think they can handle it? I read they probably can't handle salt. What is your opinion on this, the fish that had ich were only in the main tank for 3 days. I was hoping they weren't in there long enough for the second life phase that leaves the fish. So I was going to hold off on treating the main tank until I saw symptoms.

#7 ·
Ottos should be able to handle the higher temps, in the big picture 86 isnt the highest in the world, when my heater busted on me it skyrocketed my tank up to 92, thats really high and everything was Hunky Dory in my tank, i had Ottos too, jus tmake sure you dont bring the temp down too fast, it will shock the fish, happened to my Gourami a few times and he managed to recover.

#8 ·
That makes me less nervous. I love my Otos, and I had a similar experience in my 55 with a heater going. Except mine killed a good amount of the fish. I couldn't remember if my Otos were in there when that happened but now I remember they were! :) I love my Otos so much I have 5 more in quarantine and I hope they make it trhough this. I am trying to get the Quarantine tank temp up to 86 slowly. Last night it was 82 and when I got up this morning it had dropped down to 80 due to windows being open. I have turned the heater up again and hopefully it will stay at least 82 until tomorrow then I'll turn it up again.

#9 ·
I’ve been treating with Kordon’s Rid Ich + for 10 days now. I had originally raised the temp. to 86 degrees F so I left it that high for the duration until last night. I tried to slightly decrease the temp. and for some reason it dropped all the way down to 80 F. Just want to mention that because I know Ich’s life cycle speed is affected by temps. Today is my 4th day of treatment since seeing the last white spot on the fish. I did start dosing every 12 hours instead of 24 hours about 5 days ago, due to the Ich seeming to return in the middle of treatment. Kordon’s recommends that for more difficult strains. Can anyone give me an opinion on when it will be safe to stop dosing?
My original type up of this info got lost due to Internet Explorer crashing so sorry if I have missed any useful info but I am frustrated that I had to retype this and may be missing something. :(

#10 ·
Maintain the medication for a week after the last Ich spot seems to be gone.
A) it really may have been the last Ich, and a week is twice as long as needed
B) it might not have been the very last Ich, but the really truly last one will not be far behind in falling off, maybe a day or so.

24-48 hours to reproduce, 24 hours to find a host = 3 days. Add 3-4 days to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.