The Planted Tank Forum banner

Water Changes

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  EnigmaticGuppy92 
#1 ·
Question:

Am I harming or stressing my fish by doing large water changes? I have two tanks that are moderately planted and not overstocked. Right now I'm changing about 75% of the water weekly. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that as long as I'm still seeing particles being removed by my vac then why stop at 30% etc.

#8 ·
I regularly change 50-75 percent with no probs

#11 ·
some people might want gin clear water with no particles etc i do around 25% weekly with a large 1 once a month each 2 their own :)

#12 · (Edited)
I guess I'm operating under the assumption that as long as I'm still seeing particles being removed by my vac then why stop at 30% etc.
If you are changing out that much water every week primarily because you can see particles, have you considered increasing your filtration? It might end up visibly clearer and cleaner, and require less significant water changes. I put a 2213 on a 10 gallon. It looks dirtiest immediately after I replace the water because everything is stirred up. Within minutes it looks as good as it does a week later. I still do weekly water changes because I think it is best for the fish, not because it looks or tests like it needs it.

#15 ·
i said that some people may prfer to do more there is no right and wrong here it is down to personal preference to be honest changing large amount of water in the correct manner is not exactly going to harm the fish

#18 ·
I've changed upwards of 90% on tanks repeatedly. Never any stress. Usually promoted breeding in both fish and shrimp.

If you've never done it, I wouldn't say not to do it. I've never seen a loss due to large water changes. The only time I've ever seen someone kill fish with large water changes was due to HUGE temp changes(usually too HOT, not too cold, as I only use cold tap water) or due to source water with no dissolved oxygen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.