The Planted Tank Forum banner

How far can I stretch this tank?

851 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LB79 
#1 ·
I'm used to overstocking thanks to my cichlid tank. The planted tank is being being cleaned by a Rena Filstar 2 and I'm good at water changes. Right now it has:

5 brass tetras
8-10 rummynose tetras
~12 cardinal and neon tetras
9 dwarf rainbows
4 mollies
2 platties
infinite ramshorn snails that I can't seem to kill
some number of assassin snails
one ancient male betta

I'd love to add more fish that are more colorful. The reason I have the platties and mollies is to add some coloration that isn't silver, red, and blue. I'm thinking about a pair of GBRs or a school of threadfin rainbows. Is that possible or will the nitrates just spin horrifyingly out of control?

#3 ·
This depends on how many plants you have, what you are adding to the water in terms of fertilization and how much you feed your fish.

If you are not dosing fertilizers you can go with very few or many small water changes. If you dose regularly such as per EI dosing you need to do massive water changes weekly.

Typically if you are not over feeding your fish and adding no fertilzers you are able to go with much smaller and less frequent water changes provided you have enough plants that are taking up the nitrates and phosphates acumulating from the fish waste.

*EDIT* I think may have misinterpreted what you were asking.....sorry if that is the case, I thought you were asking about water changes and such. I guess your water changing routine and level of planting could still be a factor in calculating how many fish you keep in the tank.

#5 ·
Stretching Your Tank

I'm used to overstocking thanks to my cichlid tank. The planted tank is being being cleaned by a Rena Filstar 2 and I'm good at water changes. Right now it has:

5 brass tetras
8-10 rummynose tetras
~12 cardinal and neon tetras
9 dwarf rainbows
4 mollies
2 platties
infinite ramshorn snails that I can't seem to kill
some number of assassin snails
one ancient male betta

I'd love to add more fish that are more colorful. The reason I have the platties and mollies is to add some coloration that isn't silver, red, and blue. I'm thinking about a pair of GBRs or a school of threadfin rainbows. Is that possible or will the nitrates just spin horrifyingly out of control?
If you're willing to commit to an aggressive water change routine and your tank is 38 Gs or larger, than you can add a few more small fish.

I keep somewhat larger tanks and have a large number of fish in all of them. I keep the tanks heavily planted and remove and replace 60 to 70 percent of the water in them every week, with no problems. I find the fish to be the best judge of whether or not the tank is overstocked. They continue to breed in all my tanks and that's probably because the water is always clean and conditions are stable.

B

#7 ·
If you're willing to commit to an aggressive water change routine and your tank is 38 Gs or larger, than you can add a few more small fish.

I keep somewhat larger tanks and have a large number of fish in all of them. I keep the tanks heavily planted and remove and replace 60 to 70 percent of the water in them every week, with no problems. I find the fish to be the best judge of whether or not the tank is overstocked. They continue to breed in all my tanks and that's probably because the water is always clean and conditions are stable.

B
+1 there, Brad!

#6 ·
without knowing your TANK specs its pretty useless to say if u can add more or not imo. with a xp2 im guessing its on a tank no bigger than 30g? i will say it can be dont but dont recommend it! when overstocking tanks can really compound problems when things go bad. i think watching them in there more natural habitat is much better colors,behavior,health in general, but without knowing your specs its just a blanket answer that really doesnt answer much. just remember that live bearers dont stay at there current #'s unless u have all male or female so keep the future #'s in mind also.

if your stockin #'s go to high for what your filter can breakdown you can and will have a huge increase in ammo,nitrites fast if it isnt remedied. so just know the risk is higher and deal with accordingly, but put up all tank info for better info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.