The Planted Tank Forum banner

Stocking dreams and advice?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LB79 
#1 ·
Hi,

Working on getting my 35 gallon scaped, cycled and ready for new inhabitants. I'd like cute and colorful fish. I'd like a couple species of schooling fish (maybe one larger group would be better?) and some GBRs. Here are my thoughts:

(5) panda corys
(8-10) harlequin rasboras (I think they are very pretty)
(8-10) tetras (thinking blue tetras or blue emperor tetras... ideas?)
(one pair GBRs, can i get away with two? tank will be well planted)
(several) amano shrimp
(1) panda garra

Suggestions and guidance welcome... thanks!

#2 ·
One larger school is likely better (will look really nice) and will make the fish feel better as well, but you can go with two smaller ones if you want, as it's not a big deal.

I would revise your fish list a little bit. Panda corys and GBRs do not share very compatible temperature ranges. Pandas like it cooler (low-mid 70's), and GBRs really need a much higher temperature (low-mid 80's) that the pandas will not do well in. You could probably keep harlequins with the GBRs or go with cardinals instead for a better temperature match. If you still want some corys, Corydoras sterbai is a better temperature match for GBRs. I wouldn't advise two pairs of GBRs in a tank that size, and you'd be stocking it quite full of small dither fish like tetras/rasboras anyways, so I think you are better off with one pair. I have no idea what a panda garra is so I won't comment on that.

Remember not to add them all too fast. Hardier species should be added to a younger tank first.

edit: just read up briefly about the panda garra. Not sure that would be a great idea, but I can't really speak more about it since I still know next to nothing.

#3 ·
Good advice, thanks. I was not aware of the temp issue... I want my fishes to be pampered, so that will not do! Will look at the C. serbai...

#4 ·
If you like pandas (sterbais are expensive), then you could go with a different dwarf cichlid. Apistogramma, Laetacara, Nannacara, and Pelvicachromis are great genera to choose from. A lot of people seem to have problems with GBRs. You might also like the Bolivian ram. Less color, but much more hardy. Panda garra are largish, extremely strong and fast fish. I don't know if they are compatible with plants or the named fish. A petter fish would be hillstream loaches or rubberlip plecos. One school does look much better. Stick with the rasboras: They're epic. How 'bout this.

Dwarf cichlid pair
15 rasboras
5 cories
1 algae eater
10 or so amano shrimp

Notice I left the actual species choice to you. That's just a good general number or fish you could keep in the 35.

#5 ·
Like that list. I do LOVE my pandas (they remind me of a posse of wriggling puppies). Bolivian rams are a possibility--not as colorful as the GBRs, but like the shape. Will look into the other suggestions, too (Apistogramma caucatoides? borellii? agazzizii). I would like the "focal point" fish to be colorful and graceful!

The panda garra may have been a mistake -- I followed recommendation of LFS. He's supposed to max out at 3", does help keep the tank clean, but is showing slight signs of aggression.

#7 ·
I was told I could not keep African dwarf cichlids, so that opens up a new world of choices! Some are stunning! Help narrow down the list for a newbie (I have no idea how much any of these cost or their availability):

New list (need help with dwarf cichlid centerpiece choice):
15 harlequin rasboras
5 panda cories
1 algae eater
10 or so amano shrimp

Dwarf cichlid pair:
Bolivian ram*
Pelvicachromis pulcher*
Pelvicachromis taeniatus*
Pelvicachromis taeniatus moliwe*
Apistogramma agazzizii*
Apistogramma borellii*
Apistogramma caucatoides*

#8 ·
Pevicachromis pulcher is a very prolific species and the cories will get the worst of their parental protection behaviors. Taeniatus might be a little better for that. I have a tankful of cacatuoides. The females absolutely hate each other. A pair might be the best to start off with. Bolivians are cute and very prone to lots of display between males, but they are near to impossible to sex when young. No experience in borelli or agassizi. They are all very fun to watch. Basically, get the one that you like the best.

Get the cichlids last. That way, they'll be much less aggressive about staking out a territory.

I just noticed your signature. Do you already have the garra in with cories? If it is not aggressive with them, there are chances it is a perfectly safe fish.

#9 ·
The garra IS in with the corys and they get along just fine, so maybe I have nothing to worry about. I will definitely get the cichlids last. It's hard to say what I like best as I have hardly seen any in person! Just GBRs and Bolivians! I need to find a supplier in CO who will put up with my endless questions and my wanting to see real, live fish! I don't want to get anything that will make my corys miserable...

#10 ·
I think that bolivians would be the better route due to the GBRs ability to die easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.