The Planted Tank Forum banner

M. Praecox courtship dance & breeding advice needed

712 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  azjenny 
#1 ·
So here's a cool little video showing my M. Praecox doing their mating dance... Watch for the males flashing the yellow stripe down their heads. Sorry for the poor quality and slightly dirty glass, it looks so much worse in this video for some reason... Be sure to make it larger so you can see the color and fin flashes on these fish!
Also wondering, has anyone here raised rainbow fish fry? I'm wondering if there's a way to do so. I have a 2.5 g and a 5.5 g tank, neither of which are being used and I could set them up if need be. I've never tried though, but I'm pretty sure if all three males are doing this dance, there will be eggs! I just don't want them to eat them all.
I'm in LOVE with these little fish!
http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/mjenny620/?action=view&current=IMG_1976.mp4

#2 ·
I have 6 Mel. Parva that do that dance every day right before the lights come on and shortly after. Never had any eggs and they have done it for months now. I think they need to have the right spawning surface. Either a nice ball of moss or make a spawning mop if you really want them to spawn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.