The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need to start planning

814 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ElectricBlue 
#1 ·
Here shortly im going to be setting up a 40B.
I need ot plan what my live stock is going to be.

Am planning on keeping atleast 4 German Blue Rams and maybe 2 or 3 Electric Blue Rams. There is also going to be 1 male ABN Pleco in there

Maybe a School of 10 or 12 Tiger Barbs?
How about Cherry Barbs also?

Im only wanting a few different species of fish for this set up.

All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You MAY be able to keep 2 pairs of rams in a tank that size if it's extremely heavily planted and has tons of driftwood to break up sight lines, but I strongly doubt you'll be able to keep the number you're considering right now. Once those rams hit sexual maturity, start pairing up and spawning, you'll have WW3 in your tank. One pair would be your safest bet.

Tiger barbs will probably be problematic once your rams start spawning, too- they're extremely aggressive and will probably harass the bejeebers out of egg-laying rams. Cherry barbs might be OK, but I'd personally go with some gentler warm-water schooling fish to mix with Rams, instead- especially fish like Cardinal and Rummy-nosed tetras that will be better able to handle the warm temps rams need (low 80s F).

#3 ·
Makes total sense.

I i completely understand about the rams. Not sure what i was thinking with the number i was wanting to keep.

So 1 pair of Rams, not sur eon a school fish yet.

Everyone has Cardinals and Rummy's. Might do a school of 15 or so cardinals.

I also love Rainbows, Could i keep anything other then a Dwarf Blue Rainbow?
I would love to have a Male and 2 female Dwarf Blue's, not sure on what other Rainbows are out there that would be compatible.

#4 ·
Glossolepis pseudoincisus, Tami River or Millennium RF
Melanotaenia misoolensis, Misool RF
Melanotaenia lakamora, Lakamora RF
Melanotaenia maccullochi, Dwarf or Macculloch Rainbowfish

Here are some smaller rainbows to look at. No actual experience with any of these but they are about 6 cm mature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.