The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rummy vs. Neon

4K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  bonaparte 
#1 ·
The tank is a 33 gal GLA. I wanted to know if I should get neon green tetras or rummy nose tetras. I have heard that rummys school tightly, but they are larger. Neons are very small but not as tight of schoolers. Which should I get?

#4 ·
Rummies = AWESOME, Neons = cool. which would you rather be man? AWESOME!!!!! or just ...cool?

*pier pressure, pier pressure, pier pressure, pier pressure, pier pressure, pier pressure...*

no pressure man, go with what you like most...

#6 ·
do what everyone tells you to do
*cough* rummey *cough, cough* nose *cough*

Its ok man you'll thank us later :hihi:

but seriously, just do it... just get rummy nose.... doooo it...

#7 ·
I had both. Rummies were a lot more fun to watch. It's like neons were dumb-founded in the tank. Lost. The rummies were everywhere, together! Rummies for the win!!

LMAO@PEER PRESSURE**!!

#13 ·
lol, just re-name the thread to "The great 'rummey vs neon' debacle of O'11"

^^ a joke btw

LOL im writing in this size from now on.. squint!

Amy
^ no squint for me... 37" monitor... sorry, nerd alert

#33 · (Edited)
This is true. Even though I voted for rummies, I have 10 cardinals myself. They look great against the plants and are a nice contrast to my Foersch's Barbs.

BUT, if I had to do it all over again...I would still get the cardinals. But I also would have a 75 instead of a 30 and I'd get the rummies, too. :icon_mrgr

#16 ·
Have you thought of Cardinal Tetras? I think they are much much more prettier than the Neon, and I prefer them over Rummy Noses. I had 7 Rummies, but they all jumped out within the last 7 month period... My Cardinals have stay put, gained deep beautiful colors, and shoal/school once most of the time.

#22 ·
I say rummy. I have cardinals, and love them, but whenever people come over and see my tank they say "oh those are neons" and I have to explain that they are cardinals, and they just glaze over. Since this has started happening I have vowed to never have neons :)

#24 ·
Rummy nose = a pleasure to watch

Neons = booooriiiing!

Thats just my opinion. I guess cause neons are sissy fish that go bully up to easy. No fault of their own... they are mass bred, which leads them to be weak. But some times you can get some that are bullet proof. If you like the blueish/red colors... I recommend the Cardinal tetra, a far more attractive fish (again IMO). Or the green neon, not as much red but schools very nice unlike the regular neon.

#25 ·
I think it's all in what you're looking for. Rummys are better schoolers... no question. Hardier too. Neons are prettier though (to me at least). I guess it's attractive vs neat.

BTW I also prefer Black Neons and Cardinals to Neons, but since the original topic was just between the two I didn't bring others into it. I also prefer Glow Lights... mostly because they're hardier, but I also think they're underrated in terms of looks.

#30 ·
If it's a standard 33gl (footprint wise), then I would go with green neons, or better yet (in my opinion) Black Neons. I find a 33gl not quite long enough to fully appreciate Rummies, plus Rummies are way to ADHD for a tank that size, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like Rum, ahem, I mean Rummies, but yeah, I wouldn't really go with them in a tank with that footprint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.