Albino Sterbai Cory Fry (New Video 05.25.11) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryl View Post
Congrats on the babies! I never got any albinos when I was breeding Sterbai but they are not too uncommon, just google for: albino cory sterbai

I used to breed them in bare 10 gallon tanks, one pair per tank, with a sponge filter in the back corner, and a handful of Java moss that floated freely and tumbled in the current from the sponge filter. A few days of heavy feeding and then a 50% water change with cooler water usually triggered spawning. They'd stick their eggs to the Java moss, and I'd use a tweezer to pluck out the bits of moss that had eggs atached (to avoid handling the eggs directly) and move them to a small container with gentle aeration until they hatched.
Thanks! I knew that they weren't rare or anything, but I kinda thought maybe an albino breeding pair would be necessary to get so many. Guess not.

Quote:
albinism is a recessive treat and if you linebreed it a long list of gene-based faults "hitch along".
the best way to breed albino's (any albino's, bristlenoses as well) is to crossbreed them with the regular form and then sell the albino's that pop up in the second generation.

it's Mendel, pure and simple
starters: albino x wildcolor form

generation 1: will all look like wildform, but these guys are heterogyzotes. they carry the albino gene, but don't show it.

generation 2: 3/4 will look like wildform and 2/3rd of that batch are heterozygotes;
about 1/4 is albino's again
Found this on Planet Catfish. Now I understand.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks for sharing your info tuffgong. This is the coolest thread ive seen in a while. I wonder if pygmies do the same?
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Congratulations! It seems to me that when people try hard to get a spawn they never get one. Then as soon as they stop caring the fish reward them with some eggs. It looks like you are doing the right thing with the foods and trying to get them nice and plump. Its the best/easiest thing to do to get them ready. Think about it, in the wild the fish will only breed if there is plenty of food around, if they are fat then there must be!

I have a set of 6 C.Adolfoi that im going to be getting here as soon as we thaw out. I am very excited about having them and hopefully getting them to breed.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Congratulations! It seems to me that when people try hard to get a spawn they never get one. Then as soon as they stop caring the fish reward them with some eggs. It looks like you are doing the right thing with the foods and trying to get them nice and plump. Its the best/easiest thing to do to get them ready. Think about it, in the wild the fish will only breed if there is plenty of food around, if they are fat then there must be!
Thanks! I really do think the conditioning is the most important factor. If you think about the human gestation period the mother is supposed to eat high quality food to aid in the development of a healthy baby. IME it seems this same principle applies to corys as the vast majority of the work is done inside the female cory when the eggs are developing. The act of spawning is merely the release of the eggs. Development of high quality eggs via good conditioning ensures a robust spawn. I'm really interested to see how large of a spawn I can get based on these principles. Adding 2 additional corys to the spawing group will introduce another variable that I can't wait to test out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Thanks for sharing your info tuffgong. This is the coolest thread ive seen in a while. I wonder if pygmies do the same?
Thanks Chad! I have ~20 Pygmy corys in my 55g that are starting to display some spawning behavior. I doubt any of their fry would survive in the community tank, but I've got my eye on a 20g long metaframe tank just for them. Hopefully I will get a chance to tackle them in the very near future as they intrigue me very much! I also have 6 C. habrosus that are being conditioned now, but no serious breeding effort until I setup a tank for them specifically.

I will post updates as things change. I had one more egg hatch today bringing my total fry count up to 8 I'm still waiting on another 5-6 to hatch.

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update time! The fry are all growing well with no problems so far. I did lose one and I'm not sure why. In the cups I have 5 fry with 2 albinos. All of the fry have at least doubled in size. I anticipate moving them to a real tank early next week. They have only been fed Grindal worms so far. Might try some earthworm sticks tomorrow.

In an old Betta tank I have 5-6 new fry with 2 of them being albino.
The old Betta tank is a new variation in my attempt to breed sterbai corys. This setup is bare bottom, has no filter, a Hydor LED, ambient room light, and a huge ball of java moss in there. I have been doing 50-60% water changes every 2-3 days and have seen a very high hatch rate. I will try to post some pics of this new setup later, but I need to figure out a way to light it better in order to be able to take decent shots of the fry.

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

My sterbai breed all the time in my 110 community tank. There are always little mini me's pecking around I am going to have to start selling them soon before the population takes over the tank! I have not had any albino's though If you end up with a bunch maybe you could sell me some...
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

7 Week Update

All of the fry have been in the 2.5g now for about a month. I have 10 fry with 4 or 5 of them albinos. I'm still feeding them Grindal worms like mad, but they also are eating earthworm sticks and flakes occasionally. They seem to grow pretty fast and have reached a nice size.

Like their parents their personalities are great. They zip around the tank in the evening and at night. One of my favorite things they do is rest on the Wisteria leaves. It's also cool to see them resting and eating on the sponge prefilter.

This shot was taken about a week after they were moved into the 2.5g

Resting in the leaves.

Two albinos resting in the leaves.

Most recent shot taken tonight.

Most recent shot taken tonight.

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjen View Post
My sterbai breed all the time in my 110 community tank. There are always little mini me's pecking around I am going to have to start selling them soon before the population takes over the tank! I have not had any albino's though If you end up with a bunch maybe you could sell me some...
Jen,

I would probably be interested in a trade in a couple months. I'm going to keep this batch for myself since they are my first sterbai fry.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really nice pics.

Your albinos look distinctly different from the common albinos. The transparent body looks awesome. I hope you get more in your future spawns.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Fat little boogers!

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldsoup View Post
Really nice pics.

Your albinos look distinctly different from the common albinos. The transparent body looks awesome. I hope you get more in your future spawns.
The Sterbai albinos also have the normal gold pectoral fins of the regular Sterbai. That sets them apart as well from aeneus or paleatus albinos.
tuffgong, congrats on the spawn. Do you have a picture of how you are using the plastic cups to hatch? I'm just curious and having problems picturing how you have them setup. Your hatch rates sound like you are doing everything right. Hope you have many more spawnings.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

They are really see through!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldsoup View Post
Really nice pics.

Thanks! I have a couple more eggs waiting to hatch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Fat little boogers!
Yes they are. Nice and round like babies should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasGuppyGuy View Post
The Sterbai albinos also have the normal gold pectoral fins of the regular Sterbai. That sets them apart as well from aeneus or paleatus albinos.
tuffgong, congrats on the spawn. Do you have a picture of how you are using the plastic cups to hatch? I'm just curious and having problems picturing how you have them setup. Your hatch rates sound like you are doing everything right. Hope you have many more spawnings.
Thanks! I will take some pictures of my setup and post them later on.

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any pics coming soon? I have a 40 breeder planted tank that has 6 Sterbai in there by themselves. (Well, a few pest snails as well) Today I found Sterbai eggs all over the glass. They have been in the tank for about 4 months. I feed Hikari sinking pellets, Emerald Entree frozen food, frozen brine shrimp, and new life flakes. My water is quite soft. Tank temp was recently lowered from 80 to 76. 50% water change per week at a slightly cooler temp. The eggs are new today so I guess I will have to see what happens to them ovewr the next few days.

Pics of your cup set up would be very helpful as I am not sure exactly what to do from here. I have a Rena Xp3 on the tank is the intake going to be a problem? Would a nylon stocking over the intake help? Any advice you may have would be great.

Thanks!
Nate
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate McFin View Post
Any pics coming soon? I have a 40 breeder planted tank that has 6 Sterbai in there by themselves. (Well, a few pest snails as well) Today I found Sterbai eggs all over the glass. They have been in the tank for about 4 months. I feed Hikari sinking pellets, Emerald Entree frozen food, frozen brine shrimp, and new life flakes. My water is quite soft. Tank temp was recently lowered from 80 to 76. 50% water change per week at a slightly cooler temp. The eggs are new today so I guess I will have to see what happens to them ovewr the next few days.

Pics of your cup set up would be very helpful as I am not sure exactly what to do from here. I have a Rena Xp3 on the tank is the intake going to be a problem? Would a nylon stocking over the intake help? Any advice you may have would be great.

Thanks!
Nate
Nate, I apologize. I completely missed your post. I can get some pics up for you tomorrow, but it's probably too late. I hope all went well for you though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode