The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plecostomus algae wafers?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  toddnbecka 
#1 ·
I just got a small plecostomus for my paludarium. I have a few quick questions. I read they need these algae wafers for feeding. I don't have any other fish so normal gold fish flakes would sink to the bottom for him. So in this case is goldfish food okay to feed my pleco?

If I do have to use algae wafers I have another question, can they act as a fertilizer for my live plants? Seems like they would. Do they fog the water bad?

Lastly, is there any way to keep this guy from growing so he doesn't outgrow my setup? I have a 40 gallon tank, but only a few inches of water in it. Hes only 2.5-3 inches right now.

#2 ·
Growth/size depends on the species. If you got a common pleco it will certainly outgrow your tank, a BN wouldn't.
Not sure what the ingredients of the the goldfish flakes are, but they're not likely to kill a pleco. The pleco poop will be plenty of fertilizer, don't overfeed in hopes of making the plants grow better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.