The Planted Tank Forum banner

A peaceful fish for a semi-aggressive tank?

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Preetam 
#1 ·
What peaceful fish can keep up with or won't get bothered by semi-aggressive species? I have 11 tiger barbs, 1 redtail shark, 4 boesemani rainbows, 3 kuhli loach in a 65gal planted tank. All of them are going along well and very healthy for 100 days now, but I feel like I need a "good guy" in there. Something in contrast with my current stock, but won't add or solicit aggression in the community. Preferably a fish that is fine alone or in a small group of 2 to 4 max, a top dweller, and a Southeast Asian, or Asian species at the very least.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
A peaceful top dweller that can handle a tank full of tiger barbs? Well..

Blue gouramis get to be about 6 inches long, are top dweller but they can get pissy with smaller fish once they get to full size.

I can't really think of any others. Hatchetfish are too timid and need a school of like 8. The remaining top dwelling gouramis are too timid (dwarf and pearl). Other fish have fins that would be nipped (congo tetra, swordtail). Guppies are out of the question. You already have boesman's so I figure you wouldn't want neon rainbowfish. Pencilfish are too small.

That's the best I can do sorry man. Those tiger barbs can be a challenge as far as tank mates.

#9 ·
Duh! I forgot about that part. I believe larger barbs like Tear Spot's (D. rohani) would work. To respond to the guy below you...fish DO know where they come from, and you will see much more natural behavior if you pair them with similar fish. Plus, many people enjoy the biotope idea of an aquarium instead of a random mix of fish with pink gravel and fake plants.

#10 ·
Golden panchax/wonder killifish. I have them in my 125 w/ tiger barbs (and other various barbs) and they're perfectly fine with them. The barbs do nip at them every once in a while, usually if I've just fed the tank, but otherwise leave them alone.
Really great fish. I'm not sure how other varieties of killifish would do since I've never owned them, but those in particular are nice :D
They're not Asian originated though

#12 ·
From my own experience (anecdotal, you're miles may vary), Tiger Barbs get a far worse rap than deserved. If you have only 3 or 4 they will be holy terrors, but in a larger group, they tend to just chase each other. I have 10 in my community tank, and they don't bother anyone else besides themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.