The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tetra identification

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Opare 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I bought some green tetras off my LFS. In one of their display tanks they had four other tetras which looked quite different. I bought them, off course.

They're pale in the photo because I'm in the middle of acclimation. But they looked like Belgian Flag Tetras when they displayed their full color back at the LFS. Or maybe black neons? They are barely half an inch, so I guess I'll have to wait for them to grow more. The thing is that both black neons and belgian flags have a bit of red on the eyes, and none exhibit that.

Ant suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
They also have some other name that I forgot, they'll develop a black line in I guess. I went and bought some tetras yesterday that I thought looked cool, and after coming home and doing a little research I found out that they're dyed tetras and usually we're not supposed to buy them so that whoever is breeding them and dying them stops doing so since it's considered to be tortured and they become more vulnerable to infects and diseases, they're called painted or colored glass fish, they're tetra breed.

#5 ·
Those tetras and danios are not dyed they've been genetically modified to show those colours. It doesn't affect their health and it is life long. I personally don't like the colours but you can buy them without worry of that other stuff. They are called Glofish. I was referring to what Omar brought up, not the fish OP posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.